Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

I would!!!

If it’s a small group, we might be able to have multiple partners??

Yeah that could work.
We’ll see who all is interested first - maybe give it through the weekend.
So far it is:
me
@Edel
@JoyfulClover
@thanate
@craftADDchick
@Lynx

I’m thinking about it. I’ve never made an art journal page before.

There are gobs of tutorials to find a style you like! It’s a good opportunity to learn new and really flex the maker muscle!

I’d love to join in as long as people don’t mind my beginner style!

I do have a question, though… What do you all do with your solo journal pages? Do you bind them together into a journal? And, if so, how do you do that? Do you fold your pages and stitch them in, or do you bind them with something like a Bind-It-All?

And, how do you keep the pages from sticking together?

2 Likes

I’m so new, I also do not have a method of keeping them together. Mine are free-range!

It will be interesting to get GG’s weigh-in.

2 Likes

Ok, so, lots of beginners. I’ll play.

There are several ways to go about it. I was lazy with previous journal pages and I just punched 2 holes in each page and used ring binders.
If you go this way you can ask people to make sure there is room to punch holes in the upper left corner or along the left side. I did not and so some pages I got I had to punch holes on the opposite side because I didn’t want to ruin the text.

These are index cards of the day (ICADs) and are only 3"x5". these I just punched a hole in the corner.

but there are nicer methods (i.e. not for lazy people like me)
gluing pages together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_160cwgTHo&t=517s - this one attached strips of card board to each page and those strips are what get glued

knot binding - punch holes either with a punch or an awl and use twine to bind

This is the method I most likely will try next. it looks fairly simple.
accordion style

You could also use a bind-it-all or some sort of punch binder.

when the pages are just in a ring binder they are not really compressed together so sticking is not as big of a deal.
But for my other art journals I have used Dorland’s wax medium to rub on the finished dry pages and that prevents sticking. BUT if you used water soluble mediums then they could smear. You could keep pieces of wax paper between pages or use some sort of acrylic sealer.

Here are some sample tutorials.

DianaColors amd Amber K Creative have some beginner friendly videos.

I really like Maremi SmallArt’s Break a Blank Page series but she can be talkative and her videos are long so I usually have to fast forward through them.

3 Likes

I can do journal pages, but I don’t want to make 4 or more - I’d prefer a smaller swapping group. That being said, if you decide to make 7 for 7 partners, I’ll sit this one out. I’m going back to work on Monday so my freewheeling days are over.

I will swap master boards if anyone is interested…

1 Like

I’ll swap masterboards with you.

1 Like

No I don’t think we would be doing that many. I am gauging interest and then probably Sunday I will send out emails to everyone who is interested. I was thinking people could choose 1, 2, or 3 partners for this personal swap. And I will coordinate it. I wouldn’t want to do more than 3 myself as they aren’t quite as quick and easy to churn out like ATCs. And even though this is a personal swap I wouldn’t want to encourage/push anyone to take on more than they could reasonably handle!

1 Like

That sounds perfect to me!

I don’t think I could make one for every partner, either! So, 1 or 2 would be ideal.

and, @geekgirl, what a great list of resources you just provided! Thanks for pulling all of that together!

1 Like

I’ve been kindof avoiding my computer, so communications are sporadic but I would definitely be in for this; I think glue and gel pens sound like a good thing to pick back up.

This makes me wonder…again, as I’m sure I’ve asked before…what are your go-to white pens? I bought one at Hobby Lobby once once and it just made a huge mess. Don’t remember which brand. Sharpie, maybe?

Jetpens has a good comparison video (and sometimes a sampler pack of a bunch of different white pens when they’re in stock!)

I mostly use the sakura jelly-rolls these days, or paint pens (I have a generic pack I got at AC Moore) for non-paper surfaces.

1 Like

Thanks. I ordered a pack of the Sakura to see how they work for me.

1 Like

Uniball Signo, broad. In white. (Recommended by geekgirl, gozer, and kwality)

I also have the Sakura gellyroll in 05, 08, 10. Between these 2, I can usually write on anything dry.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thank you.

1 Like

I actually recommend the uniball signo um-153 over the broad but that’s just my personal preference. I never had luck with the uniball signo broad pens.

1 Like