Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Hey, @PrincessP, I REALLY loved your watercolor dementor you posted here! Would you be willing to show us how to do this technique, via Zoom? Obviously when it would be convenient for you? Maybe late on Fri or Sat (for us), so early Sat or Sun for you.

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/zoom-meet-up/5522/419

2 Likes

I’m not an expert, and I don’t have much experience with making backgrounds, but the effect I’ve seen multiple times using oxide inks is a blotchy look, similar to the effect you get when you put salt on wet watercolors. If I can use inexpensive watercolors (in a wide variety of colors) and salt (also very cost effective), to achieve that same look, it’s not worth it to me to buy the inks.

They may have other uses that I haven’t seen which could give you more bang for your buck, so don’t rely solely on my opinion which is probably very limited in scope. :slight_smile:

And, I’m looking forward to tomorrow morning! I just found out that I’m supposed to attend a 2 hour meeting from 9-11 but, fortunately, I could say, with a clear conscience, “I have plans!”

2 Likes

Thank you @JoyfulClover I would love to :blush: Perhaps we should see whomever else would like to join us and pick a time that suits everyone? Otherwise, Friday evening your time works really well for me :slight_smile:

The materials you will need are paper, ink (calligraphhy/india/anything black like that), round tip brushes, water and more paper, because once you get making them you can’t stop :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I sent a PM to everyone I think expressed interest. If you want to join in and need the link let me know.

Sign me up, please!

HOORAY!!! Thank you! I am so excited!

Maybe next Friday, the 16th? 7pm EST, seems to make it 9am in Australia. Then it said AEST is not used by many locations, and it might be 10am, so now I’m not sure! And NZ is 2 hours in front of that? (jemimah liked it so she might be interested).

What zone are you in? and I’ll googlie!

I am AEDT
Australian Eastern Daylight Time
:slight_smile:

That time works perfectly for me. Do you have a paid zoom account? I only have a free one, so it might cut out after 40 mins? @geekgirl does that sound right to you? Maybe someone who wants to join in will have a zoom account?

Should also add to the supplies list: chocolate! Since there’ll be a lot of dementors around :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Where is the said watercolor dementor? Or roughly when was it posted? I haven’t found it so far. I’d just scroll the thread, but we’re up to almost 700 posts here. :dizzy_face:
(And regardless, I’m interested in learning a technique and doing something arty at that time!)

1 Like

I don’t think it was in this thread. I think it was in the zoom thread, give me a mo and I’ll see if I can’t find it

I hope to join that zoom too. 11pm on a Friday is good for me.

I hope this link works https://lettucecraft-discourse-backup.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/uploads/db2588/original/3X/5/2/52f62ee47938445e7ead0a966e3adaeeeb951aff.jpeg

3 Likes

It’s the first photo in the link I included

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/zoom-meet-up/5522/419

It’s so freaking cool. Very haunting. Look at the heads and fingers!!

2 Likes

Yay! And yes, I do!

I will wait to post for Friday until tomorrow, as gg is hosting an event and I don’t want to confuse anyone. I’m so grateful you are willing to show us some fresh new creepy things!!! Yay!

2 Likes

Thank you @Edel and @JoyfulClover! :kissing_heart: Yes, I do want to learn how to do that, and make them doing or saying something unexpected… It’s like they’re really angels who suffered severe burns and now they look scary, and so no one wants their assistance even though all they want to do is help save humanity. :smile:

ETA: D’OH. The image was linked in J’s first post about it. Ayy, my apologies.

1 Like

@calluna that’s such a poetic way of describing it. Nice

I don’t think I can actually do the journal page with you all, but I do want to pop in for a few minutes to see how it’s going! If I can find something I need, I may start working on it later today.

This was me last week, it was a long and frustrating week:

6 Likes

This was so much fun! It was nice to see what everyone else was doing and be able to ask questions. I’ll definitely be joining future zoom alongs :slight_smile:

Here’s mine. She came out a bit messy but overall I’m happy with it as a first try :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I think she looks great. I love how big the eyes are and how you can see the book text through her

3 Likes

Here is my page from today’s zoom session. I need to work I’m getting the eyes even but over all I’m happy with it

11 Likes

My lady:

I’m pretty happy with it. I will definitely practice more. I like the idea of being able to sketch a face and not rely on materials.

8 Likes

@photojenn. I really love seeing the text, too! And I like the low light areas.

@geekgirl. I really enjoy you did not make her smile. Maybe that wasn’t the intent, but I absolutely love when ladies aren’t smiling. We’re not obligated to appear pleasant and decorative. I REALLY like her. I wish I would have done it.

I had SUCH a good time with y’all, today! So many talented peeps showing up to art!

2 Likes