Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

A free image would clear copywrite concerns.

GG - I seem to recall a discussion you posted somewhere about free resources? Was it on Lettuce?

I found the one I recommended, copywrite free and royalty free: commons.wikimedia.org

This lady is free, and similar:

This lady makes me happy, though:

This is our current situation:

1 Like

We’ll call it ‘Scrapped’ and paper craft version of the tv show chopped.

if y’all are interested in this, i could make a collage sheet and just email it to everyone.

4 Likes

Not sure how well I’d do, not done this before so not very confident, but a collage sheet as a starting point, rather than a mess of images would encourage me to have a go.

I love this idea! I’m still new to collage and mixed media, but this would be a fun way to practice and get inspiration from others.

I’m wondering if you could upload a scan of the collage sheet and post it in the thread, that way you wouldn’t have to e-mail everyone.

I have some supplies in the car and I think I might run out to get them so I can get practicing with what I have on hand…

It’s possible @sweets4ever can help you attach a pdf to a post.

2 Likes

Here’s my first attempt at a master board. I had to make do with what I had on hand. I discovered that my acrylic paint supply is seriously lacking. I also didn’t have a proper brush for stenciling, so I used pieces of cotton batting.

I am not 100% sure it’s finished, but it could be. I’ll let it sit tonight and see what I think in the morning.

7 Likes

wow–it is fantastic! I love how you sort of have a circular theme going…and the colors…good job…your first? You are on your way to making many more now…

2 Likes

Thanks, @AIMR! I found a set of stencils in my paper ephemera box, and I used bubble wrap, and a bottle cap. I didn’t realize that I had selected so many circles! It was fun to just attack it without a real plan. I do want more paint now! My bottle of white was so old that it solidified, so I used fabric paint instead!

1 Like

It’s perfect! The black parts are my favorite!

It looks great. and when you cut it up you’ll have lots of interesting pieces. Doesn’t matter if it doesn’t feel finished. I often cut up my masterboards and then add even more elements to them.

And I use a make up sponge for stenciling. and have used cotton balls and baby wipes. and my finger.

1 Like

I like the colors! And the black spray pattern is cool! The way it disintegrates is going to make some great pieces! And I see you snuck some word bits in there!

1 Like

I didn’t notice that at first and had to go back and look!

That looks amazing! Just wait until you use it for something, you’ll be astounded at the background it makes.
I use a makeup sponge for stencils too, they work very well & you can easily control the paint density.

1 Like

It’s really good, I love the design of the black.

Thank you! I had some problem with smudging, but then I realized that part of it was because of the way the stencil pattern was made- intentional smudges!

Thank you! I’m excited to cut it up and see what the individual pieces look like. I made it to use as ATC backgrounds, but it’s an 11" X 14" page, so I might use a part of it for something else. I still haven’t done my Zetti piece, so I could use it for that!

Thanks! I think the black spray pattern might be a Tim Holtz stencil (I have no idea when or from where I got it…maybe it was a gift…). And, the words are from a page in a road atlas. I tore a page out and ripped it up (because I haven’t used an actual road map in ages).

Thank you! And, I think I do have makeup sponges, but they’re in my stamp closet, which is currently blocked by a pile of stuff (sometimes, when you organize, you have to make a mess first…) and it was late when I did the stencils- too late to be hauling boxes out of the way.

I didn’t think of cotton balls! I did consider using my fingers, but I didn’t want to be picking paint out from under my fingernails for the next 2 days :laughing:

Thank you! It came out a litle heavy in spots, but I’m sure I’ll be able to work with it once it’s chopped up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve just been catching up - you are all making so many great things! I haven’t had much art time for a while, but hoping to get in a little bit of painting today.

Cut a bunch of ATC blanks in preparation for any challenges!

4 Likes

Are you doing the weekend blitz? Started already…two prompts… :smiley:

1 Like

Missed it - will join. Soooooo many Zoom calls yesterday & today.

1 Like

Still so many masterboards being made! I’ll host a masterboard swap as soon as we get the a-okay for general swapping to begin. In the meantime, keep making and practicing!

3 Likes