Paper & Vinyl Featured Member - ceep

We all know @ceep from her amazing paper crafting and pattern matching skills, but I wanted to know more about what makes this incredible crafter, well, craft!

:scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler:

Let’s start at the beginning. When did you start crafting, paper or otherwise?

We always had crafty stuff around the house. My best friend, Monica, and I were always messing about with fabric, and paper, and glue, and glitter, and sequins, and pine cones, and rocks, and leaves, and whatever else we could find. We still mess around with crafty stuff when we get together! My mother is both artistic and crafty, and my father is an engineer. DIY is definitely a way of life in my entire extended family. Someone is always making something or tinkering. It would never occur to anyone in my family not to try to do something ourselves.

What is the first paper craft you remember making?

I remember how excited I was when I mastered Froebel stars. My mother was making Christmas ornaments with a $0 budget, using items around the house. Yarn angels, little posterboard birds that she painted and made 3d by slotting in wings and tails, and Froebel stars.

What or who inspires your paper crafts these days?

I’ll see something on a FB group, or Pinterest, and then I go down the rabbit hole. What usually happens is two or more seemingly unrelated ideas will click together, and a new creation comes from that.

Your website is called “Extreme Paper Crafting” and I don’t think anyone who has seen your work would argue with that. How do you continually push the boundaries of what is possible with paper?

My brain immediately starts trying to figure out how to make it with paper. Will it be cool or a big mess? Well, both are equally likely, but a big mess can lead to something else interesting.

Tell us more about your “Extreme Christmas Cards.” How did this tradition start and how do you top yourself year after year?

A year after we got married, my husband and I had to move. We decided to combine our holiday greeting with a “we’ve moved” announcement, and he thought it would be hilarious to take a picture in front of a McMansion. We assumed everyone would get the joke–that not only did we not have two dimes to rub together, but a “big-house-on-a-tiny-lot“ monstrosity would be last on our list. One day we were driving around and we saw it. The biggest. The ugliest. The most Mc of McMansions. We screeched to a stop in front of this random person’s house, set a camera on top of the car, hit the self-timer, and ran like fools to get in the picture. And….no one got the joke. So, the next year, after explaining that NO we did not in fact buy a huge butt-ugly house, we tried again. And again…and again…and again. 30+ years later, I’ve decided that anyone who’s going to get it, is going to get it. It’s mostly for my own amusement. Because I crack myself up. Someone’s gotta do it.

As an extension of the previous questions, what are your favorite resources for new techniques?

I enjoy looking at old craft books, magazines, and pamphlets; and learning about traditional crafts from around the world. Palm leaf weaving. Millinery rosettes. Scroll saw patterns. Quilt blocks. Tramp art. Scherenschnitte. It’s all inspiration.

You are a crafter who is known for her precision. What advice to you have for those of us who might be ahem less than precise but want to be?

That’s a bit of a laugh. My motto could be, “Make it count where it shows.” But seriously, I think the secret is in the tools. I can’t cut straight, but Silhouette Cameo can! I can’t draw, but CorelDRAW can! Choose an appropriate adhesive. Use good quality cardstock, not construction paper. Get a metal straight edge and a good light. Score before you fold. Use a sharp blade. And of course, measure twice, cut once.

You’re not just a paper crafter, but also a fantastic sewist! How did you start sewing and where do you get your inspiration for your amazing sewn tops?

My mother made all of my clothes, and I learned to hand sew when I was little. Everyone took sewing in Home Ec in junior high school in my day (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). I hated it! I’m sure I complained at home about the teacher’s rules (“All pins must be exactly 1” apart. Measured with a ruler! Mom! I’ll never finish this stupid jumper!” ), and my mother probably said, “Oh stop. Let’s get a pattern and some fabric. You start, read the directions and you can ask me if you need help.” And so I learned. Back in those days it was cheaper to make than to buy. Everyone sewed. I made most of my clothes for years and years, but what I really enjoyed was sewing for my daughters. It was the 90s! Wild colors, print mixing, all that fun stuff. I stopped sewing (except costumes—including a somewhat infamous scrotum skirt, but that’s another story-- and curtains and slipcovers and such) for years, but got back into it maybe 3 or 4 years ago because I wanted something fun to wear to work. It all started with the doughnut shirt, and now it’s novelty prints every day.

Is there a craft medium that vexes you?

Oh lots. Pretty much all of the fine arts elude me. Painting…drawing…sculpture. Hopeless.

Is there a crafter or artist whose work always catches your attention (on Lettuce Craft or elsewhere)?

Jamie Storer, @storerboughtcreation here on Lettuce Craft, who makes the most gorgeous crocheted blankets

Rob Ives, for paper crafts that move

The Bergeron family, for Christmas cards

wonkeyseam on Instagram for sewing

:scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler: :scissors: :page_facing_up: :triangular_ruler:

Thank you so much @ceep for sharing more about your crafty passions! We look forward to being continually inspired by your work!

17 Likes

Truly an amazing crafter of allthethings! I so admire the unmatched pattern matching skills. Mind boggling, really.

2 Likes

What a great interview! It was so fun and entertaining to learn about how LC’s “precise-est” crafter got her start with paper and fabric! I love the McMansion story and reminds me of a holiday newsletter I wrote with what I thought was an obvious “joke” about my (now ex-) husband and I that turned out was not obvious which kind of made the whole thing better. I also loved hearing about home ec memories - an inch apart!? :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Oh, and the protractor emoji is perfect here, @Abbeeroad !

1 Like

Right?!

The McMansion story is my favorite, too. :laughing:

1 Like

I love the sense of humor! I bet you and your husband are a riot to hang out with @ceep! The McMansion story is perfect!

Your HomeEc instructor sounds like a drill sergeant! Mine was a sweet Welsh lady who may not even have known how to yell at anyone. :wink:

Lovely interview! I want to make a few of those Froebel stars now. Maybe I’ll try some this afternoon!

I am honored you mentioned me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I often look at your amazing shirts and attention to detail and feel inspired to learn to sew. I’m going to look into local classes right now. :blush:

@TheMistressT Yes, an inch apart, and we literally had to measure with a ruler and show the teacher our pins before we were allowed to sew. I loathed that class with a passion that still burns, 50 years later. She was equally annoying in Cooking. We HAD to cook certain things, and then she had a rule that we had to “eat what we made.” I was a picky eater. You can imagine how well that worked out.

2 Likes

:scream_cat:I FOUND THE MCMANSION CARD.
I hand cut all those foil paper circles–4 per envelope.

So… closed, it was supposed to look like a very fancy house.

And then this side represented OUR house. The apartment/townhouse.

And this side represented YOUR house, “your” being everyone we knew who seemed to have infinite amounts of money, unlike us.

On the back was our new address which was the “18” in the OUR house.

Way too subtle.

But wait, it gets better. I happened upon that house again, a few years later, and this time noted the location. It’s now been so long since we took that picture that the trees have grown up and you can not see anything of the house from the road.

Behold.

4 Likes

That might be an actual mansion! I recently learned that over 5000 sq ft is a mansion.

So hilariously awesome.

Don’t ask me how I know this (okay, it’s public information if you know where to look) but you are spot on. 5071 square feet of living space

2 Likes

What a great idea, and how funny that no-one got the joke. I mean, that house huge and you guys look really young there.

And more than 30 years later you guys still have the same sense of humor, your pandemic Zoom holiday card is still one of my favourite projects of yours.

1 Like

So fun to learn about our fellow members! Love the story of the McMansion.

1 Like