Patriotic Picnic Quilt

This probably marks itself as one of my first quarantine quilt completions as i work my way through my stash to get fabric out (and justify more coming in once we’re allowed to roam freely in quilt shops)
in the meantime, this was a project i chopped up last year and started sewing in january. then, it sat by the wayside for a good long while and finally came back to life in march. i just quilted it up last friday and forced myself to bind it as well so it could be on it’s way and out of my WIP pile.
somehow, i inherited a LOT of red scraps, which made this the perfect pairing with some blue solid fabric i also inherited. basically, people give me fabric and i don’t tell them no. can’t complain when it turns out like this! for the quilting, i did a meander stitch. this quilt gave me more of a traditional pattern vibe, i didn’t want to over quilt it.

this was allegedly called the “picnic” size (about 51" square) so it seems pretty small for picnicking, but pretty decent for a little kiddo or small lap size. at some point in the future, i’ll probably make this quilt again in a larger size, and i’m intrigued to see what it will look like in a totally different color way!
i also made a timelapse video while quilting (because that seems to be my new favorite thing to play with) so you can see that here: patriotic picnic quilt time lapse
pattern info: katie’s quilt

13 Likes

Pretty, I love the design

That was a neat video! I currently have a quilt ay my LQS to be quilted on her long arm, so that was fun to watch.

Beautiful patriotic quilt. This would look so different in other colorways!

Scraptastic! It came out beautifully.

The time lapse was really cool! And the quilt is gorgeous!

That video was awesome! And the quilt looks great!!

I also liked the video…not sure I have ever seen anyone quilt using a professional quilting machine…now I want one!

I love red, white and blue quilts…what a simple but pretty pattern…I can see it done in a lot of different colorways!

Well done!

Your quilt is so festive, and your piecing is so precise! The video was fun to watch, too. Thanks for that. Envying your machine and your studio space!!!

It looks great! I love all your red scraps!

Using the blue where you have, makes it look so different to the colourway in the pattern version. Look forward to seeing the next colours!

1 Like