Peacock table. Decoupage week continues

New techniques!
I coated the table top with white glue and let it dry, then ironed the fabric on top.
It worked pretty well, but there is one loose spot in the middle.

The design looked sparse and unfinished, so I added one whole peacock and several flowers from this fabric and some from another fabric. The second fabric was a little dark, so I washed the leaves and flower centers with white to match the primary fabric.

Then I scumbled darker blue paint around the edges, so it doesnā€™t look so much like I just plopped a piece of fabric on top.

I thought some stenciling might be nice, but I donā€™t have any stencils. So I 3D printed some! The first batch were too small, so I reprinted larger. Testing showed I didnā€™t like the stencils (maybe if Iā€™d used a different color paintā€¦) so no stencils.

After the fabric was on and first top coat dry, I sanded off the extra fabric on the edges. It was mostly pretty cool, but I only had coarse sandpaper, so some places got a little rough. I have since bought some finer sandpaper, just in case I need to do this again.

And the table was originally just a boring brown. I sanded and sprayed it glossy deep blue. I somehow wound up with 4 cans of glossy deep blue spray paint, so Iā€™m always looking to use it up. Fortunately, I like the color.

This is the smaller of two matching nested tables. I think Iā€™ll paint the other one blue and use a pattern on topā€¦

17 Likes

Wow! Beautiful!!

1 Like

Wow, you do such amazing projects! That is a gorgeous color and the top is fabulousā€¦ sounds like an interesting decoupage technique also, ironing the fabric onto the glue. When you added the extra flowers and peacock, did you just glue them down? Or ModPodge underneath and over the topā€¦?

1 Like

I used white glue to attach the extras, and put a coat of it on top, too.

If you look up ways to make your own ā€œMod Podgeā€, the recipes are usually just white glue and water. So Iā€™ve been using MP on some stuff and glue on others. Both seem to work equally well.

2 Likes

I love how this came out. And it looks really fancy/high end.

Iā€™ve wanted to do fabric MP style crafts before, but I worried that the fabric would just look wet and dark. How does it keep true to the colors of the fabric when you finish?

1 Like

Not too different if you put them on a white or pale background. I painted the peacock table top dark blue, and it didnā€™t seem to make a difference until I added another cut out peacock on top. The new bird is brighter because it is on a lighter background. Itā€™s the one in the middle; it should match the upper left bird.

1 Like

This came out really lovely! The application looks perfect from here!

1 Like

You are on a roll! I love the color and the technique about letting the glue dry and ironing it on. Fascinating!

2 Likes

:fireworks: Congratulations :fireworks: Your project is a featured project for this week

1 Like

woohoo! thanks!

This project is really calling to me. I might be looking at my stash to see what I could try this onā€¦ so you ironed it on? At what setting?

1 Like

the fabric is cotton, so I used the cotton setting.

and if nothing in stash quite worksā€¦ Robot or human?
link title looks weird, but works.

I have the tail feather fabric, too, and another tableā€¦

1 Like

It reminds me of silk lantern fabric. Very nice.

1 Like

Fabulous! thanks for sharing your technique!

1 Like

Such a cool idea!

1 Like

Youā€™re really taking your decoupage to the next level. This is so pretty!

1 Like

This is a very cool design and a great idea.

1 Like