Peekaboo pumpkin cake-with recipe!

I made this for a “bake-off” we had at work and I was so nervous because I just jumped right in without doing a trial run. The moment of truth came when I sliced it and the magic pumpkin appeared!
You’re gonna make 2 cakes, the first a pumpkin, the second a butter cake. You will also need a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter.
Recipe for pumpkin cake:
Preheat oven to 375F, grease a loaf pan generously with butter or shortening. Mix the following together and pour in pan
Pumpkin cake:
1-15.25 oz pumpkin cake mix a
yellow or spice cake mix can
also be used
1/2 cup sugar
1-15 oz can pumpkin not
pumpkin pie mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
4 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp and 1/2 pumpkin pie spice
Bake for 50 minutes. Let cool.
Remove from pan and slice into the same width as your cookie cutter. Cut out pumpkin shapes, wash your loaf pan, and regrease. This time dust the pan with sugar (trust me—it will make your cake have a delicious crunch)
Take your pumpkin cutouts and place them back in the pan so they are touching each other (sorry, no pic of this process)
Next make your butter cake (you will have leftover batter from this because th e pumpkin cake takes up room- not to worry you can make mini bundts or cupcakes. Pour butter cake batter over the pumpkin slices carefully and covering the tops of the pumpkins. Bake for 1 hour and cool.
Butter cake:
Mix together:
4 Eggs
3/4 cup Granulated sugar
3 tsp Vanilla
1 box Vanilla cake mix
1/3 cup Butter
1 Cup Milk
1/3 cup Sour cream
1 box Vanilla pudding, instant
2 tbsp Water
Top with butter cream frosting and toasted pecans or pralines. This was unofficially the winner of the bake-off and people were asking for leftovers (there were none)
Great for a fall get together, Friendsgiving, or thanksgiving.
When you slice it an adorable little punkin appears!

12 Likes

This sounds like a winner to me…but I can’t see your photos! :sob:

The photo hosting is not working on my phone. It’s more than likely user error…

1 Like

I can see it now!! OMG, it looks AMAZING! That frosting! :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Ok well, now my sweet tooth is screaming. Lol great choice for your get together!

1 Like

Oooh my gosh, I wish I had Smellovision right now. That looks amazing.

1 Like

How fun! And the recipe sounds delicious, too!

1 Like

Looks yummy!

Just a suggestion … you should modify the title indicating it includes the recipe. Might get more interest.

1 Like

YUMMMMMMMY! I would love to come to work to find this in the breakroom!

1 Like

That looks so cool!

2 Likes

Wow! Just when I think your desserts can’t get any cooler, you post this!

1 Like

Oooh thanks for the suggestion— I didn’t even realize that was a tag

It’s not a tag, just a suggestion to modify the title … Peekaboo pumpkin cake - with recipe

1 Like

Guys, I had a dream about this cake last night. :laughing:

1 Like