Perfect circles mugrug

I recently saw a tutorial for inserting a reverse applique circle involving glue that yields a shape with entirely hidden stitches, neat! But complicated, & I don’t mind the look of top stitching, it can even be decorative.

Here’s the technique I use, it’s easier with lighter weight fabric at least for the underside. I also use a bit of fusible web to hold the layers together when assembling.

Since I was adding multiple circles I top stitched each one in place but that’s an unnecessary extra step.
Do you have a technique you like for this? I’d love to see how you do it.

16 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

I was taught a similar technique when making perfect bound buttonholes! I use old sheets and pillowcases for the inner fabric but organza is also nice to use…I like how the video cuts very close, leaving very little seam…no clipping needed! I have clipped before and sometimes those “show” through to the other side.

Your mug rug is beautiful! I love how you combined a technique for the inner scrappy part as well!

1 Like

I like the negative space so much I don’t even mind that some scrappy wonderfulness is covered over. Somehow only showing bits of it makes everything even more special.
This weekend we’re going to the bday of a family friend I haven’t seen for about 20 years, I hope she’ll like this as I made it for her. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

In one of the art lessons, we take a “frame” and go over our art prints to find interesting parts. I think the same concept applies: when you see something surrounded by some sort of frame, it does make it much more special!

She will love this!!!

1 Like

Loving this style!! Black is the perfect compliment to the wild scrappiness!

1 Like

I love everything about this. The reverse applique, the circles, the scrappy peek, the black “frames”!

Agreed! When I was a decorative painting contractor and would do some thing special for an accent wall, sometimes clients would tell me that they didn’t want to hang anything on it or set anything in front of it. I would tell them, “No, do! You will notice the wall and what’s on or in front of it even more.” And they would.

4 Likes

oooh, peekaboo scraps!
lovely!

1 Like

the black background is really striking

1 Like

I’m loving your scrappy circles! I love the idea of using the circles to frame fun and special fabrics, there are so many possibilities.

I have a scrappy circle project of my own planned and seeing yours just makes me want to get started all the more!

2 Likes

Dooo iiittt! Super fun, I love playing with scraps!

1 Like

Love the scrappy vs black combo. These are cool!

2 Likes

I love the contrast of the simple, stark black against the wild colors and stitches of the scraps. Very cool!

1 Like

I love circles! And this is really pretty! What a neat idea!

1 Like

It’s like little bubbles of happy chaos! I love it!

2 Likes

Thanks all! I gave it to the bday girl, she loved it :slight_smile:

1 Like