Personalised, handmade beanie... with a pom pom!

So my colleague is moving to New York on Sunday! She grew up in South Africa and then moved to Perth, so was really worried about how cold it will be in winter.

I asked around LC for those of you in the cold climates for tips on warm headgear. I got a lot of ideas, but ran with the fleece lined hat, so I could make something her style.

She has a set of colours she wears - browns, mustard, forest green, maroon - so I rummaged through my grans stash and grabbed a cream, brown and green.

I found a pattern that had a mix of stitches, a bit like a sampler. Since she’s a bit eclectic in her style, I thought it would be a good fit. I skipped the row of quadruple doubles and swapped it out for another set of the bean stitch, as I didn’t like the way it looked when I did it.

I gave it to her yesterday and she was so excited, then she found out that I made it and she almost cried. “I have always wanted a handmade beanie with a pom pom!”

She promptly put it on and wore it the rest of the afternoon. She will send me snow pictures. :snowflake::snowflake::snowflake:

27 Likes

Aww, the sweetest story, such a nice hat too.

1 Like

Thankyou! I was really happy with the way it turned out. And it is so lovely when you have such a beautiful response when giving a handmade gift.

3 Likes

That is amazing! Really love what you did to capture your friends style

1 Like

What a lovely story! All the thought and effort you put into making her something just right and then her sweet reaction. YEY HANDMADE!

I just realized that not only is she moving to a drastically different climate, she’s changing hemispheres and going to have to have practically back-to-back winters!

3 Likes

The hat looks super cozy, and the story is heartwarming. It’s lovely when someone truly appreciates a handmade item. Best of luck to your friend in her new location!

2 Likes

It’s beautiful and so warm! That was so thoughtful!

1 Like

The fleece lining is an awesome extra touch that will keep her extra warm. Love the reaction you got. Good luck to her!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I really was so happy with it, it’s the best of the beanies I have made I think.

I also really appreciated the advice everyone gave me to be able to make this lovely gift for my friend.

I love the colors in this hat. So lovely that you took the time to thoughtfully make her a gift, and her reaction…! Priceless!

1 Like

It’s gorgeous and will be well loved!

1 Like

Such a wonderful gift!

1 Like

Wonderful gift, and a beautiful job on the eclectic feel.

1 Like

Great hat. Wonderful to see it after reading your request for help.

1 Like

Congrats! Your Handmade Beanie is one of this week’s featured projects! :tada:

1 Like

Thanks so much! :yarn:

The hat is super nice, but the fleece adds a whole new dimension. Fantastic idea and construction.

1 Like

lol If she needs a break from the cold, tell her she can come stay with me for a few days!

To be fair, winters up north have been much milder than they used to be…hopefully, this will continue for her stay…

Her hat will keep not only her head warm, but her heart as well…love the colors and the extra fleece liner! The pom pom is fun as well!

1 Like

Congrats! Your project was one of the best of 2021! You are awesome!

1 Like

My friend sent me a photo, with the caption “beanie’s first snow day!” I think she’s loving it! (I asked her if I could post this pic.)

3 Likes