Photo orientation/editing?

Here we go. Photo taken with a samsung galaxy 5. Loaded into a dell laptop running windows 7. It was sideways in photo files, I rotated it to be right side up on the computer using the rotate function in the preview screen.

My work around is to rotate on the phone and save a new image but that makes it tricky to see the best quality photo because, of course, the screen is so mush smaller than a monitor.

Ok, this image is on my desktop oriented correctly but uploading sideways. I opened it in paint, cropped and saved as a new image but… still sideways. I am trying to post a tutorial but it looks ridiculous with this silly thing. Is there a way for a moderator to re-orient it somehow?

Any ideas on how to remedy this? I’ve been moving tutorials etc over from the other site, copying the images onto my computer then uploading them here. Some come out oriented incorrectly and short of loading them onto a cell phone, cropping, then moving to the computer to upload, I am stuck. The samsung I’m using is just for taking pictures, it’s not connected to a network, no sim card so I can’t upload from it.

I still have it open for me. :frowning: It’s hard because I’m not able to replicate it on my end. I’m still trying, though. I’m on a mission. :smile:

1 Like

Maybe this is helpful…

Here’s the post on deadster, I copied the photos from there and moved them here.

You can see the photos that didn’t orient properly and if I edit them on my computer which is running Windows 7, the new cropped and resaved photos still orient wrong. There may be something I can do on my end but I’m not certain what it is.

imageimage
image image

I just copied and pasted from old to here…I did nothing…

1 Like

Oohhh

I copied and pasted your image just fine. How come it will not work on my computer?!! Frustrating.

Are you just right clicking, copy and paste?
I had Craftster open in a window, right click, came here, paste…I am using WIN 7 on this computer…

1 Like

I totally just copied and pasted from Cster. Where they are oriented properly! I didn’t paste them here though, I copied them into my computer files, then uploaded them. Why would that make them wonk out? Drr…
I will copy and paste the other treat bag tutorial by just pasting them right into the dialogue box here and see if that works.

Why do the extra step?

1 Like

You can’t have more than one draft open here and the dialogue window is too small to see the entire post all at once so I park images on my desktop, arrange and edit them, get the dialogue ready, then I copy stuff to here.

The dialogue box is actually pretty huge…the whole screen…and it has a very very long scroll bar as well…you can hide the preview as well if it too confusing…

1 Like

You mean on your phone?

1 Like

Phone or tablet are too small for me. On desktop the screen is bigger and there’s the option to hide the preview, that’s true.
Now I know I can toggle back and forth between cster and here to copy and paste, I’ll do that. It doesn’t solve the wonky orientation if I rotate an image on my desktop but so long as I remember to crop and edit on the actual phone, it seems to work just fine.
Weirdly specific solutions but hey, that’s technology for ya!
I wonder if there is some sort of photo editing thing that I can alter. Pinterest does this as well, there is some bit of data being read that tells certain systems to put photos on their sides no matter how they look from the source.

if you are using photo editor that comes with windows, look at the print options…you will see that they use a sideways orientation…they have a weird print routine that takes your photos and put them sideways for printing, but I bet it keeps the orientation when you leave the program…yeah, not all technology meshes well with each other…

I had problems posting photos recently, too, Magpie. They kept loading upside down. Normally, if I crop a photo, it resizes it, and saves the new version rotated how I want. But it didn’t work this time. I tried from a desktop, my android, and tablet. Luckily, I had some random older photo, so yay!

1 Like

I’m having trouble with image orientation too. Rotating it on my phone first doesn’t seem to help. Grrr!

I am not just rotating on the phone, I’m rotating and cropping and saving as a new image. That seems to work on the phone but doesn’t work when taking the same steps on the computer. It’s very frustrating.

I have requested in the topic that a moderator rotate images if possible but haven’t seen it done or gotten a response about it being possible. Can mods rotate images for us like on the previous site?

Technically, yes. Efficiently, no. A moderator would have to download your photo, rotate on their device, and re-upload it for you.