Photography-themed Tee-shirt Quilt

I’m not sure if this qualifies as a quilt (versus a blanket), but since it has piecework, a backing & batting & binding, and is lightly quilted I’m going to call it a quilt.

One of my oldest longest (in time and in height) friends is a photojournalist who commissioned me to make a quilt with his old tees a few years ago. Through him, this is my third tee shirt quilt for a photojournalist! :camera_flash: :sewing_needle:

This is the first one that I have framed the tees. I like the way it turned out, but I don’t know how much I liked the extra thought, math, work. Yes, I do… not much! :face_with_spiral_eyes: Worth it, but this confirms for me again how I don’t think I will be taking up “real” quilting. :grimacing:

The back is navy/white flannel and the quilting is wavy lines diagonally across all the squares as well and vertically and horizontally along the cotton frames. All the stitching is in grey.

I feel really good that I have hardly any of the flannel or quilting cotton left over! I’m hoping to get it sent off soon, so she & her wife can see it (they wanted the final look to be a surprise)! Eep!

18 Likes

Very cool; I know they will love it!

I like the way you arranged the colors.

1 Like

Thanks, friends!

Great job! I’m sure your friend will love it.

Super cool!!

This is very cool. Interesting tees! Definitely a quilt!

1 Like

Thanks so much, y’all!

This is a very niche field.

Did you use just a standard machine, or did you get it quilted? I really like the wavy lines. It would make it less stressful to get everything just so.

1 Like

It is niche, isn’t it? It’s probably best for me that it is, because I did indeed quilt it all on a standard machine - a Pfaff that wasn’t even intended for home quilters! So the “bridge” part is pretty short and it’s a big effort to get it all under the needle. It would be even more challenging to go any bigger - especially with a flannel back. The other two I’ve done have had “straight” lines and I can’t believe it took me until this one to realize that wavy was the way for me to go! At one point I had to ask this client, “You know I’m not a real quilter, right?” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I don’t think most people realize what a difference there is between different types of machine sewing!

3 Likes

Double applause then, as I always get horrible pin tucks.

Did you use an adhesive? Or just wide open?

1 Like

There are a couple of pin tucks, but she’d seen the others I’d done and they had a couple, too. I did not use adhesive and do not know what “wide open” even means! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I don’t think wide open is a quilting term. I was just saying you must have been straight Wild Wild West!

1 Like

OH! Hahahahaaaaa! Well, I felt like I had the h*ck pinned out of it, but yes. I feel like TheMisterT’s quilter aunt - who I have never met, but whom I’ve heard a lot about - would be disgusted and appalled by my approach. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

:fireworks: This photo-tastic project is one of this week’s featured projects! Woot! :fireworks:

1 Like

Awwww, THANK YOU!

1 Like

This is cool and they had some awesome shirts!

1 Like