Picky Toddler Solution: Dye it! - Dyed Denim Jackets

Spring has sprung, but someone forgot to inform my daughter because she insists on wearing her winter coat still! I purchased a couple really cute jean jackets from ThreadUp, but there was one crucial flaw: They were denim, whereas the winter jacket was pink. My pink-obsessed 2 year old was not having it. I contemplated purchasing yet another jacket to appease the beast, but realized I had another solution at my fingertips: dye! I of course had to dye the other one purple for my other daughter (me too!).

Final results!

Here’s the offending jacket before I dyed it.

I happened to have pink dye in my stash already! I failed to take a before pic of jacket #2 and the violet dye, but you can use your imagination.

And bam! Pink jacket = happy 2-year old!

25 Likes

Those turned out great Abby! The dye penetrates really well, you weren’t kidding :smile:

3 Likes

The purple jacket was regular denim color, not light like pink one was. I honestly did not expect it to come out so purple!

2 Likes

I’m not surprised - they’re of a similar darkness and hue. It came out great! I actually love the extra dimensionality of the blues peeking in the crevices of the seams - it’s a cool detail.

4 Likes

Wow! That dye really pops! I’m impressed with the color saturation, and it was a brilliant idea to dye them.

2 Likes

Wow, these turned out great! So vibrant!

2 Likes

I’m normally a purple person, but I really love the pink one because of how it works with the blue bits showing through.

2 Likes

I liked that too. It still looks like a denim jacket!

1 Like

Abbee, these came out so fantastic! The color saturation is to die for.

Or to dye for… hehehehe

3 Likes

Those jackets are gorgeous!!

2 Likes

I love them! When I was younger, I dyed many items when I got bored with them.

3 Likes

Nice inventive save!

2 Likes

love it! Good solution. :grinning:

2 Likes

Same! I love giving things a second life!

2 Likes

I’d totally wear those. Came out so good!!!

2 Likes

These are KA-YOUT!!! I would rock the crap out of either!!

2 Likes

They both turned out really cute! I had no idea you could over dye denim like that…

2 Likes

Oh, reminds me of my daughter, pink everything, then it was purple, then teal, then black. She still prefers solid colors and as a successful executive type now wears cream colored blouses with little pencil skirts. Her closet is hilarious. A long row of cream/ivory/white and an occasional very pale blue blouse and a long row of dark skirts and slacks.
I made her the cutest little gray corduroy jumper with a pink shirt and pink tights, and she was mad all day because I made her wear it. She was in pre-school and very shy, but everyone knew she was pissed off at the world.
I gave the jumper away.
I love the pink jacket, very good choice.

3 Likes

Hahaha! That’s fantastic! I bet the gray jumper was awesome, too! :laughing:

1 Like

@Abbeeroad, it was adorable and so was she. Hmmm, she still is at 36!

2 Likes