Pillow cases, teaching allthepeople

Date day for the kiddos, thought Iโ€™d teach them how to sew pillowcases.

Girl picked this flannel

Boy picked this nice blue

This was the sample I made to show them the hows.

Then @Serenity came over

She picked out this excellent cat fabric for her youngest boy.

We did some funky figuring out to add self welt

And a pocket inside

So much fun teaching people how to master the sewing machine!

19 Likes

Looks like a really fun day. That kitty fabric is so cute!

2 Likes

Pillowcases! I need to make a few that are a bit longer than standard. Yours look great! Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

Such a cool day! It must be so satisying to help them learn a valueable life skill thatโ€™s also an avenue for creativity!

2 Likes

What a fun way for them to spend their day together, learning a new skill and ending up with a usable souvenir at the end of the date!

What does one put in a pocket inside a pillow? I would put my sleep mask there!

1 Like

The pocket holds the pillow in place, itโ€™s a โ€œhotelโ€ pillowcase. Most patterns are for either that style OR the kind that is bigger than the pillow with a longer hem that often has piping or another decorative trim. We wanted both those elements so we had to make up our own pattern.

Iโ€™d say he was pretty happy with how it turned out.

5 Likes

My purchased pillow cases all have that pocket to keep the pillowcase from shifting outโ€ฆnever thought to put it into the ones I make! duhโ€ฆ

What a great idea , and how fun to have you as a teacher to make them! Looks like everyone had a happy sewing result!

2 Likes

Lovely! Thatโ€™s a good cat fabric, too. :green_heart:

1 Like

It came in a few colourways! Super cute.

2 Likes

That looked like a great day, and obvs Iโค๏ธ flamingo fabric

3 Likes

Ya, you know where that oneโ€™s already headed, lol.

1 Like

:kissing_heart::kissing_heart: xx

1 Like

So wonderful of you to share your know-how! Iโ€™m jealous. Iโ€™d be a million times more confident sewing clothes with you over my shoulder!

2 Likes

Since I truly believe anybody can sew, you sure would! Iโ€™ll cheer you on from here, you total got this!

3 Likes

These are fun and I love that cat fabric!

1 Like