Pilot the dog Copic Drawing

I joined the STS and offered up a custom pet portrait as one of my items. @susieoregon claimed me after I approved an image of her adorable pooch, Pilot. I loved his eyes. They are so expressive and cute.
At first, I completely panicked. It was a rough start. One of the markers I needed had dried up and left streaky lines. After a small freak out, I looked at it and really liked the streaks. I fixed the marker and set about recreating them on purpose.

The key was lots of layers. In the end, I liked how it turned out. It’s not perfect, but nothing ever is. It’s art. LOL! I added it to a 6x6 cradle board to give it a more polished look.

Before I added the background and cut it out.

She said she likes it, and that is what matters. I am using her pic here of the rendering with the real life Pilot. He was obviously impressed. :joy:

Side by side while I was rendering. I added some more depth after this. The nose still needed to be darker, but I was so scared I would mess it all up.

I also started timing myself to see how long these take. Drawing and rendering took me two and a half hours, not including sanding, painting, and modpodging it to the board.

PS. So many of my markers are drying up now! Thank goodness for refills. That’s one of the reasons I love these markers so much.

21 Likes

You have such a talent for capturing the expressions of animals. Pilot’s portrait is amazing!

1 Like

This really is amazingly well done. You are very talented! I think I could work on something like this for months and it wouldn’t come close!

2 Likes

You nailed his expression perfectly and did such an amazing job! You far exceeded my expectations. You are very talented! I hung it up above my desk (I work from home 4 days a week) and was distracted all day admiring it.

8 Likes

Awe. It looks good there!

2 Likes

It’s absolutely stunning! You captured the “feed me” look in his eyes perfectly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s so great! Perfectly captured.

1 Like

What a beautiful job! This turned out really really cute!!

1 Like

Beautifully done! :blush:

2 Likes

That is such a stunning portrait! beautiful beautiful work!

2 Likes

I love this!
On a side note… I have used a touch of goof-off to get felt tips flowing again. :heart:

2 Likes

It’s fantastic! Not only the impressive drawing skills, but the feeling and expression, brilliant.

2 Likes

This is beautiful!!!

1 Like

Absolutely stunning! Those eyes are beautiful. You nailed the layers colors and textures of his coat so perfectly.

Do you sketch out your piece first with a regular graphite pencil or something similar?

1 Like

I use a mechanical pencil.