Pine Marten Ornament

For the Ongoing Ornament Swap I painted this little guy for @AudiobookLover.

The base is a birch section painted with guache and acrylic.

34 Likes

He’s such a cute little guy! I love the texture of his fur! I’d never heard of pine martens (or any sort of marten) before, so not only did I end up with a beautifully painted ornament, but I now know of a new type of animal.

3 Likes

Love this!

1 Like

Wow! This is the cutest lil guy I’ve ever seen!

1 Like

Omg he’s so cute with his little hat!
The gouache didn’t run on the wood?

1 Like

Thanks for the lovely compliments, everyone!

@bethntim - I used acrylic as a base first so the gauche had a solid base. That said, I’ve used watercolor on wood sections like this successfully; the wood absorbs the water and leaves the paint so you have just a very slight translucency.

1 Like

What a cutie!

1 Like

1-I LOVE Pine Martens.
2-This is the cutest ever!

2 Likes

Squeeeeee! So cute! My style of Christmas decorating is woodland, so of course I like this.

1 Like

Very cute!

1 Like

Beautiful work

1 Like

He looks perfect!! His little face is so cute! Beautiful job!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Pine Marten Ornament is one of this week’s featured projects. You are amazing!

1 Like

Your painting skills are fantastic. I love this, and I too learned of a new creature.

1 Like

Wonderfully detailed!

1 Like

He’s so cute!

1 Like

Thank you!

He’s so super sweet and I love the look of the gouache!

Have you heard, by chance, of Anne Louise Avery on Twitter? She writes little vignettes about a group of animal friends who care for each other and one of the main characters is Pine Marten. He’s such a thoughtful and lovable little fellow, just like the one on your ornament!

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of her! I’m definitely checking that out. Thank you!

1 Like

How adorably sweet! I think the pine background just makes the whole thing 50% better.

2 Likes