Plaid Button-Down Tunic

This lovely, light-weight cotton plaid fabric has been in my stash for years. So has this pattern (Simplicity 2255 - view A). Well, I finally got around to using them together, as originally planned.

This was my first run through with this pattern. I had to adjust the length of the collar band (pattern error), and I also made it narrower, rounded the corners, and sewed it differently than the instructions directed. It did end up being too wide through the shoulders - something I will probably adjust if I use this pattern again.

I went through the trouble of finishing the seam allowances as best I could without a serger.

Everything but the bias tape was from stash, so that was a big win.

It just came out of the dryer, so, it’s slightly wrinkled. I was too lazy to give it a steam before snapping a few pictures. I’d have taken photos right after finishing, but there were some obvious pen marks that needed to get washed out.

22 Likes

Looks great! I like that fabric, too.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

This is really cute! I like how the tabs on the bottom sides give the hemline a little shapey shape.

2 Likes

Thanks! The hem is curved like a typical dress shirt, too.

2 Likes

Oh! I didn’t even see the little tab on the bottom hemline until @TheMistressT commented on it. What a sweet little detail! The plaid fabric is super cute, too.

Can you help a non-apparel-seamstress interpret the next-to-last picture? I get that it is showing me the bias tape on the interior of the garment (cool that the bias tape is a fun color!) But I’m having trouble figuring out where the bias tape actually is on the garment itself.

2 Likes

It’s the armscye, where the sleeve attaches to the body of the garment. It’s always a mess of basting stitches and a double-row of stitching. So, I just covered up the raw, ugly edge with bias tape.

3 Likes

Ah, I see now! Great way to give it a polished finish.

1 Like

This is great. I never would have guessed it was homemade. Looks very professional. Love that fabric with the pink stripe. Stellar job!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Wonderful stitching!!! I would wear the heck out of this.

1 Like

Thanks! I have a Bill & Ted t-shirt that is the same blue…it makes for a nice 90s grunge throwback outfit, updated for the fashionable 40-something stay-at-home mom. :joy:

That looks lovely & comfy, beautiful job.

1 Like

Thanks! The material is really soft. I’m pretty sure it’s 100% cotton.

Lovely! The colors are so soft and those tabs at the bottom are a great touch! I love little details like that!

1 Like

Thanks! I have some store-bought flannel shirts that have that and I love it.

1 Like

This is really lovely! I especially like that you mostly used stash fabric and notions. How did you like finishing all the seams without a serger? I’ve made a couple of pieces of clothing with my machine but mostly avoid it since I don’t have a serger.

1 Like

Thanks!

Finishing seams isn’t so bad. On most, I just pressed the seam open and folded over the seam allowance and stitched the fold. I did French seams on the sleeves since those would get folded up and be visible. And the bias tape is easy enough. But, you can just zigzag over the raw edges, too.

Nice fabric! At first I thought you altered it, but you made the whole dang thing?? :astonished:

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, I’m trying to get as many handmade items into my wardrobe as I can manage. I really dislike clothes shopping. Which, I had to do today…needed jeans.

1 Like