Poinsettia Holiday Cards

I recently took my first class with artist Andrea Garvey. I joined the live Zoom, which I was nervous about since I knew no one on the call (Zooming with you all is 100% different!). It was a lot of fun, but I didn’t have the exact supplies she used, so there are some differences from her versions, but overall I really like the results!

Here is the main piece:

I definitely added the thinner paint pen lines, I just couldn’t not! :laughing:

She uses a lot of fluid acrylics, which I have never tried but am intrigued by. To try to mimic the effect, I mixed my acrylic paints with acrylic ink. It helped the paint flow more easily on the page, but didn’t thin it out too much like water would.

Here’s a progress pic before the paint pen embelishments:

I really like her background technique. She puts blocks of color on the page but then adds a highlight with white fluid acrylic. She achieved more transparency with her paints than I did, which I really liked, so you can bet I will be adding these paints to my Xmas list!

I did a couple other pieces in tandem to the main one. Just playing around on scrap paper and my mini art journal:

I think I might prefer the version in my art journal without the white paint pen highlights on the petals.

I loved the main piece enough to have them printed for my Xmas cards! I was inspired by @madebyBeaG’s method there. I just saved myself a lot of time (if not money) this year! I’ve never been this ahead of the game. :sweat_smile:

Thanks for looking!

24 Likes

They are gorgeous, like pink peppermint candies. I love them.

1 Like

Sooooo pretty! The folks on your card list are in for a real treat!

1 Like

They are beautiful!

1 Like

They really are lovely! I like poinsettias for the holidays because they are more “neutral” and can be sent to more people!

I missed the Zoom but I might take the class anyway.

1 Like

I really like the little pops of blue in the background. These came out really nice and definitely make for lovely Christmas cards!

1 Like

Thanks guys!! :blush:

@AIMR - I don’t think it’s up for replay yet, but hopefully soon. If you give it a try let me know what you think! I’m still on the fence about her ornament class…

1 Like

wow! beautiful & great idea to print cards!

1 Like

Gorgeous! Looks like a fun class. I think I also like the ones in your journal the best. :heart:

1 Like

These turned out gorgeous!

1 Like

Beautiful design! Also, I’m quite intrigued…what’s @madebyBeaG ’s method?

1 Like

I used to make all my (holiday) cards by hand, but I suffer from chronic pain.
So now I make a design - could be a drawing, a painting, a photo, etc. - and have cards printed from that design.
(They can be bought by anyone in my design shop, but I’m my own main customer, lol.)

5 Likes

Your art pieces are great and so are your cards! What wonderful timing for Christmas cards.

1 Like

I think it’s genius! I might do this every year! :smile:

2 Likes

Great solution you came up with!

2 Likes

These are SO pretty! And I love the idea of printing one of your own artistic creations as a Christmas card.

1 Like

These are very pretty!

2 Likes

Love how the card and samples came out! There is definitely a fluidity to the way the paint flows across the page, you captured that perfectly. Brilliant idea to get the cards printed, still so unique but a fraction of the labor to get it done!

1 Like

Gorgeous! What a great idea to copy them for this years cards! They turned out brilliantly!

:eyes: Great googly moogly! :eyes: Your craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: