Poison Green Plaid Skirt

I buy fabric like I buy yarn: second hand and plan projects around the stash rather than the other way around. I have also been doing all my sewing on me 1951 Singer Featherweight. I have a preference for knits when wearing clothing, and that is not something the featherweight does well, so it has been a long time since I made myself any clothes.

But I saw a piece of what I am honestly certain was vintage curtain material at Goodwill and thought, “Loth, that there is a skirt waiting to happen.” So.

It’s the first zipper I have ever installed (Yeah, I am also not sure how I made it 40 years without ever sewing a zipper.) I pattern matched everything within reason. (The pleats took forever to press, but also the back and waistband are all centered up.) And it’s fully lined in 100% cotton. I love vintage cotton or cotlin sheet stuff better than modern muslin and always keep a couple vintage sheets on hand.

I finally pulled the trigger on a new sewing machine; one that can work with knits, so I am going to try to power through some stash fabrics and add to my wardrobe. But I’m pretty happy with how this one came out.

25 Likes

Wow, I can see all the precise work you put into this. Matched plaid, full lining. Great job, cute skirt! “Poison green” is one of my favorite color names.

2 Likes

It looks awesome! I love this color, and the plaid and pleats are perfect together. You have no idea how badly I want to steal this from you! :joy:

1 Like

My goodness that green plaid is so cute and you used it to its absolute full advantage with this pleated skirt!

1 Like

That is awesome! I love the color even if it is poison green.

2 Likes

The fact that you matched it up so well is amazing. I don’t think I could ever accomplish that. Your zipper is perfect. I think you have a knack for them, to say the least. And I absolutely love the fabric.
I always say I want to sew clothes, but never do. I am so envious of people who go through with it. I can’t wait to see more from you!

3 Likes

I have SO MANY clothing plans, and have spent YEARS putting them off and putting them off for one reason or another. I just had to take the amazing green plaid bull by the horns. I think this weekend I’m going to set up and learn my new machine, and make a blue stretch velvet pencil skirt. Because if I’m going to make my own clothes, I’m going to go balls to the wall with it. Also, since my skirt is the color of fire Maleficent Dragon spits, I need a Maleficent-Purple and black top situation to make a fall outfit with the skirt.

1 Like

I love that you are using thrifted fabri s and giving them life! The color is wonderful and one of my favorites. Good job on the plaid matching.

Did you pleat the lining as well? I have always made a straight skirt lining under pleated or drindled skirts to keep the bulk down…was the fabric thin?

I pleated the lining, yes. Basically, I pleated the lining and skirt material separately. I pleated and sewed the skirt, including the zipper, and put the front of the waistband on, then I took a not-as-long piece of cotton, sewed a back seam and hem on it, and then also sewed a finished opening at the back seam that I lined up with the zipper (the zipper is NOT sewn to both the lining and skirt material; the lining is totally independent from the skirt except at the waist), then I pleated it down to the skirt circumference and sewed the waistband down to it. It is cotton percale from a vintage sheet, so it isn’t super thin, but I actually made it this way because I wanted the bulk. I wanted it to flare out more like an early 60s pleated skirt, rather than have long, smooth, straight pleats like a mid-late 60s style. I can get a smoother top part of the skirt by taking more time to iron the lining pleats, but I really wanted the bell shape. Without having to find or make an appropriate slip. Or deal with ruffles… And my waist band is covered in the pic, but it’s really pretty good as far as bulk at the top.

You did an epic job on it…and the zipper looks wonderful --like you were born to install zippers!

I have loads of “clothing” fabric but just have not yet found the motivation to make myself anything. I do miss the total absorptive power that meticulous sewing does for me…it is a zen experience!

1 Like

I’ve really never done a lot of meticulous sewing. I have only done a small amount of quilt piecing, and don’t make my own clothes, until now. Really, until mask making, I really didn’t use my sewing machine all that much. Meticulous knitting was more my metier. I was just joking with my boss, though, when I was mid-way through this skirt, that I had a good dozen or so clothing projects planned, with the fabric all picked out and everything, and no motivation. Leave it to me to find a piece of fabric, make a plan, and sew a skirt within 3 weeks of fabric purchase, when it’s the ABSOLUTE MOST complicated vision in my entire planned sewing future. Apparently, the precision is what I needed out of the craft in that moment. lol

1 Like

Super cute! I love the green plaid. Nice job!

1 Like

Super cute!

1 Like

Color me impressed!

2 Likes

This is so cute! I also have thrifted fabric that I’ve had plans for… for years. You’ve inspired me to take a stab at some new additions to my wardrobe! Hopefully when I get home from vacation, the urge will still be there! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Congrats! Your project is one of this week’s featured projects! You are awesome!

1 Like

So cute! And well made too!

1 Like

It looks amazing. Such perfect pleats. I love the fabric.

1 Like

Ooooh, I love it, what a great upcycle from curtain fabric, it looks fabulous. Also kudos on the zip, you did a great job on it, certainly couldn’t tell it was your first one!! :star_struck:

1 Like