Polymer Clay & Alcohol Inks

For the recent magnet swap I decided to experiment with using alcohol ink on polymer clay.

(Please ignore the dinosaur, that’s my attempt at a faux ceramic using sculpy glaze mixed with acrylic paint.)

First, I tried rolling out a flat sheet of white clay, applying my inks and then cutting shapes. The alcohol made the clay brittle though so it broke into smaller pieces.I baked the tiny shards to make colorful mosaic tiles because I liked the colors. Then I used the baked pieces to make a cat in a black oval of clay and baked everything a second time.

For my next experiment, I cut my shapes in advance, applied the alcohol inks, sprinkled on some mica powders, and then baked the whole thing. They came out lovely. With two I then used white embossing powder to add a dimensional pattern and painted the third with acrylics.

All in all it was a fun experiment I’ll definitely play with more in the future.

11 Likes

You are really making full use of your alcohol inks! Great stuff! My fave is the unicorn!

2 Likes

Thanks! Those inks have been sitting around forever so it’s about time I started using them :rofl:.

2 Likes

Ignore the dinosaur? Are you crazy? It’s adorable!
The unicorn has an ethereal feel to it, and I think the mosaic cat is very cool.
Embossing and adding alcohol inks to the clay created some amazing effects! Wonderful magents all around!

1 Like

Hah, ignore the dinosaur only because he doesn’t have a spec of alcohol ink. I’m definitely going to play with embossing polymer clay more. There are so many possibilities.

1 Like

I agree with Bunny. The Unicorn is my fave. I think it’s because of the trees and “sunset” colors.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s my favorite as well because of the more intense colors.

Those are so pretty! Yup, unicorn is my favorite too, love the colours of the sky, like northern light.

:orange_heart:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Just saw these; they are fabulous! For some reason, I like the one with color and doodle-drawings. All of them are great.

1 Like

Thank you!