Pork tamales

They look good.

They taste good, but I believe a little too much water in the dough. Meh, first time, mistakes are expected. (Either that, or I need to let them sit a bit, first).

After adding the meat.

And the heating of the sauce.

I had used five cascabel chilis, two ancho chilis, and four arbol chilis.

The pork was a lot smaller than the video I followed, but meh, it was plenty anyway.

6 Likes

They look yummy! I’ve been wanting to try making tamales, but have been too intimated so far.

Oddly enough, it wasn’t as hard as I thought it’d be. The worst part is going to be the cleanup. My kitchen looks like the day after, :no_mouth:, and I am pretty dizzy from the soreness (Funny, the pain isn’t as bad as the dizziness which is from the pain…:no_mouth:).

Some things that I think could be better. More salt into the dough, and…erm…something different with the red sauce. It’s normal red sauce. It tastes just like I remember…Just not to my…erm…taste, heh. Problem is, I have never cooked like this, so I have no experience with the chilis to know how different varieties would alter the flavor. Welp, it’s a test and see…If I can get someone to help clean the kitchen afterwards, though. I really don’t think I’d do this too often on my own.

3 Likes

The rule should be that the cook doesn’t have to participate in the clean-up.

1 Like

Should be, but it’s one of the many things I don’t dare speak of, :frowning_with_open_mouth: . Well, I’ll at least mention this one. I don’t deserve any help in the kitchen. So it’s all up to me to clean it. I was fortunate enough to get a hundred for taking the neighbors to a doctor appointment, so I gave it to the kids to help clean for me. So I got the kitchen for this, heh. But, now I have to clean it…:no_mouth:, hopefully I can. I want to try again, :smiley: .

1 Like

These look amazing.

Looks good to me!

I love tamales! Your sauce sounds really hot! :fire: :fire: :fire:

they look delicious. from my experience making tamales the masa always gets thicker after they set…also i don’t know if you steamed them but last time i made some we used the insta pot…was a game changer the cooked in like 25 min

3 Likes