Portable Table Top/Tray

My mom lives in a very small space, so she knows how to utilize every single bit of space she has. She just purchased a new chair to sit across from her sofa. It sits next to her built in cabinet/book shelves; but there is no room for a little table nearby. Mom realized that if she had a piece of wood the right size, she could open a drawer in the cabinet, set the wood across the top of the drawer, and it would be the perfect place for a drink or snack. She asked if Mr. racky could cut her a piece of wood to fit. Now c’mon! We’re not going to just give her a plain old plank of wood. This is custom cut, painted, and we added some handles so it can double as a tray. Mom wanted the word “cheers” painted on it. I added the judgy message for the other side, so she can communicate her position to her company. All she has to do is rotate the board so the appropriate message faces her guest.

Here’s how it fits on a drawer. Her cabinet is white, and her drawer is a little narrower than ours, so it should fit nicely. Now that I’ve got my vaccine, I plan to visit Mom next week for the first time since December 2019. I’ll hand deliver her new table top then. :slight_smile:

EDIT: I forgot to talk about the words. I wrote them out on tracing paper, then used a #2 pencil to cover the back of the paper. The tracing was taped into place and a pen was used to trace out the letters. The graphite transfers the image to the board. I used a tiny brush and black acrylic paint to paint the words on. Easy!

18 Likes

She’s gonna love it! Congrats on your upcoming visit.

1 Like

Love the ingenuity! Regarding the painted letters…wow, what a steady hand you have, even with a home-made stencil/transfer.

1 Like

Easy? I don’t think so!
It’s beautiful!

2 Likes

Okay, now I’m impressed; you hand painted the words!

Great table/tray!

1 Like

It’s the little things that count!

1 Like

This is so fab! I’m so glad you get to give it to her in person!

1 Like

What a beautiful and functional project! If anything, she will get a good laugh at your sense of humor and that she did not get any old plank of wood… :laughing:

2 Likes

What a clever hack she came up with and then you all took it to the next level! She’s going to love this almost as much as seeing you again after all this time.

2 Likes

what a good idea and I love that phrase lol

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I cannot wait to hug my mom and my sis. It’s been way too long. I believe it’s possible I might see the wrong side of that tray on my visit. :smiley:

3 Likes

What a cool idea! You’ve had enough…hysterical!

1 Like

Great idea on her part, even better execution on yours! Beautifully done my friend!

1 Like

That looks terrific! Functional and hilarious :smile:

1 Like

What a great solution and so well personalized!

1 Like

:boom: YOWZA! :boom: Your wondrous craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

This is so neatly done. The lettering is amazing! I love how crisps and clean the entire project is, and how useful it will be. Congrats on seeing your Mom and the Feature!

Aw, gee. Thank you!

1 Like

Wonderful and hilarious!