Prairie schooler swap round 2?

I organized two prairie schooler swaps on the old site I think, a general swap and a fall/winter/seasonal holiday themed one where you could specify which theme you preferred, since not everyone is into each holiday. I’m not American so I might not be interested in Thanksgiving, while someone else may not care for Halloween.

Is anyone interested in doing another round? I’m thinking of seasonal again. For those who don’t know, PS is a brand of cross stitch patterns in a more primitive style, and they have lots of fall and winter themed patterns, as well as Halloween, Thanksgiving, St Nick and Christmas.

Generally I think people should be expected to possibly be matched to a swap partner who could prefer a different holiday (so if you just love their Halloween patterns, know your partner could prefer Christmas) but if there’s a serious reason why want to avoid a particular theme, I’m sure we can work it out.

Cross stitch is technically always a Large item but I’m not thinking about swapping sampler-sized items, unless that’s what you and your partner agree on of course. I’m more thinking of pincushion / ornament sized.

I’m thinking about who participated in earlier swaps. I think I got a pincushion from @curiousfae (which is still used every day!) and I think @kittykill participated as well. And @irid3sc3nt I think you’re a stitcher as well and they have great Halloween patterns.

5 Likes

I like cross stitch if it is smaller…I would be interested in this swap…and smaller items are a lot easier to mail out flat as well!

Small cross stitches can be sewn as pincushions, ornaments, notebook covers, insert into a tote, pouch…it doesn’t have to be framed!

2 Likes

I think in the previous swap we left it up to the participants whether they’d rather send an unfinished piece of cross stitch in a flat envelope or something more elaborate.

Prairie schooler patterns are very suitable for beginners - limited amount of colours, no fractional stitches, very little backstitch. If you’re new to embroidery, this is a great swap to try it out. Cross stitch is very simple, and the start-up costs are relatively low: you only need a piece of fabric, a few skeins of embroidery thread, a needle and a pair of scissors. Even if you’ve never done this before, I still promise you can get a good result in this swap.

2 Likes

I think this would be a fun one to try, especially since it would be small. I haven’t done cross stitch in a long time, but I’m sure it’s just like riding a bike. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Prairie Schooler no longer produces patterns. I’ve bought all of the Halloween ones through Etsy. I don’t see it being a problem.

I don’t believe I would be able to participate in this swap at this time. I have some business coming up, but I am interested in it maybe later in August or in September when I start my lightbox.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m supposed to say this, but a lot of them are on Pinterest and elsewhere on the internet. And while they’re not producing new patterns anymore, they did license another party to sell copies of the old charts. They’re printed on paper, not on cardstock like the old leaflets, but the patterns are the same.

I’m not sure what the right timeline for this swap would be. I think sooner rather than later would be best, because fall is coming up and people need stitch time, but we’re in the middle of summer now and I think a lot of people have other things on their mind than signing up for a swap. So maybe August / September is more realistic.

3 Likes

I’ve always loved the look of the Prairie Schooler graphics. I may even still have the patterns lying around here from the last time! I’ll keep my eye on this one.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I knew that. Cool! I like some of their non-Halloween mini card embroideries and random stuff like the little squirrels.

3 Likes

It’s this company:

https://hoffmandis.com

They only sell wholesale but they have a store locator on their website.

2 Likes

Would it have to be Prairie schooler? I might be interested in a small holiday cross-stitch swap, especially if I can branch out.

1 Like

For this swap I was thinking of the specific prairie schooler style, but I would definitely also be interested in a more general holiday cross-stitch swap!

2 Likes

This could be fun! I especially like being able to mail a flat unfinished piece, and I can make it into an item.

2 Likes

I have some questions!

Are you seriously considering joining this swap?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Which timeline would you prefer?

• Signup August 1-7, sendout Sept 1st
  • Signup August 7-14, sendout Sept 7th
  • Signup August 14-21, sendout Sept 14th

0 voters

What’s your favourite theme?

• Fall
  • Winter
  • Halloween
  • Thanksgiving
  • Christmas

0 voters

The reason for the polls is this: It looks like I’m organizing the Yarnies vs. Sewists swap from September. I’d like to have this before or after. If everyone prefers winter/Christmas themes, then we can easily plan this swap after Yarnies vs. Sewists. If people prefer autumn / Halloween, then we’ll have to start this swap sooner rather than later.

Personally, I love PS Halloween swaps, so if there are only one or two people who are also interested in that, we could also do a personal swap.

1 Like

I found a pattern at the thrift store so I definitely want to do this!

1 Like

I 100% would participate in this, but my husband and I just randomly found a house to buy, so now we’re getting our house decluttered and ready to put on the market. I’m not sure what my time frame would be for occupancy so I can’t commit. BOOOOO! I’m sad.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the house purchase! I’m sorry you can’t join us, but maybe I’ll organize another round in the future and I’m always open to personal swaps as well.

1 Like

Sounds great, thanks! I’m sure there’ll be another one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, looks like we are a small group of people this round, and we mostly like Halloween! Can we do a compromise and do signups from now to August 10, then sendouts on September 10? That’s a month of stitch time. With the current delays in mail and other unexpected circumstances, I’d still hope that everyone has received by early October.

2 Likes