Prairie Women

Here is another mini quilt in my 2018 series of PQ challenge quilts. The challenge was triangles. I was still stuck inside with limited supplies at this time so I decided to try and make prairie points. I went through a bunch of ideas, but this image of women in front of a soddy on the Great Plains stuck with me. So I printed it on fabric, added some embroidery details and experimented with a continuous strand of prairie points for the ‘binding’. It is a very small quilt so folding the points along the strip was challenging. I also didn’t measure things properly so that I would end up with the points in the right place at the corners. This was done 'pillowcase style where I sewed the back on rights sides together with the points sandwiched between and then turned it. As a proof of concept, I think it worked very well. As far as execution… well I did execute it!

19 Likes

I really like how the prairie points “binding” came out! I think it has the vibe of handwork done on a frontier. A cheerful little detail in a hardscrabble world. I also love who it’s houndstooth!

3 Likes

Agreed, it definitely has a “handmade with struggle & love” feel. I am loving this series! Keep it going!

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking for a while that I need to keep working on this project. The problem I have is finding copyright free source material for the photos. Not that there aren’t sources out there, it is just a matter of trying to sort through them all and find an image that has an appeal.

1 Like

The stitching perfectly compliments the quilt picture! Lovely work.

2 Likes

The little touches of green in the grass are the perfect compliment of hope.

2 Likes

Why do I feel the urge to say “Roll Tide”?

It was what I had around at the time. Although, you can probably find more houndstooth and elephants in my stash…

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Weird coincidence: my highschool mascot - in Oregon - was Crimson Tide, but it was an actual dark red wave with a face. No idea why. No one ever talked about Alabama and I was well out of high school when I learned about it. Also no houndstooth anywhere there.

1 Like

:sun_with_face: :rainbow: Woo hoo! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :rainbow: :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Uhhhh… :rofl:

@waggonswest How do you print on fabric? This sounds like the dumbest question ever, but I really want to know!

I use a commercially available product and an ink jet printer.

This is really cool! I love the red border against the old photo, it looks great.

1 Like