Prickly Pear Fruit Bread Pudding

Well there’s a thing, heh.

four cactus fruit juiced
1/2 c. milk
1 Tbls. Sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

blend til smooth, then blend in four slices of bread. Sit for five minutes.

sprinkle with extra sugar (an after thought as one tablespoon was not enough, heh)

bake at 350 in a convection oven for 30 minutes. (may have been too long, and the temperature probably should have been 325. still learning the tricks of this machine).

it reminds me sort of like rhubarb. Eh, maybe more of a hint of strawberry and rhubarb. Also, for me personally, it doesn’t seem to work with milk. I drank some of the juice with milk after pouring the milk through the strainer to get as much juice as possible from the seeds, and it just didn’t seem right.

So, my conclusion is, I love cactus fruit, just not with milk, :rofl:.

7 Likes

I love reading about your culinary adventures! It reminds me at times of “Four Weddings and a Funeral” when a recipe for Duck a la Banana is referenced… if ANYONE could make that work, I think you’d be one of the few! :yum:

1 Like

My husband loves prickly pear. I’ll have to give this a try. Thank you for posting this! :smile:

I…uh…have no idea what to think about that, heh. Went scouring the internet and found one recipe, that, I have no idea what to think of that. Never had a sweet banana sauce before, and never made duck with a sweet sauce before. I am rather curious…The mouth is salivating (even though it knows it doesn’t like duck). So if I get the chance (translation: If I ever remember it while I’m out and about, :smiley:), I’ll definitely have to give it a try…And…well, I’ve never tried plantains before…might be interesting to attempt it with those instead…The mind is awash with idears.

Mmmm, sounds good. I wonder if there are any ripe tuna left. Have to go foraging.

I bet I would like this…I love prickly pear’s taste. It is my favorite “lemonade” type drink.

I love plantains as well. Depending on ripeness, they can taste like a starchy potato or a sweet banana. They make good chips as well in the dehydrator or oven.

Keep on playing and coming up with your unique dishes!

1 Like