Prinsesstarta

I thought I had made this more recently, but COVID years ya know…

I had a wild hair and made this four page Swedish Princess Cake dessert after seeing it on the Great British Baking Show. I used the BBC Food recipe. Perhaps the ratio of messy kitchen to dessert tastiness correlates because almost everyone loved it. Too much marzipan for my husband, though.

I think this would be one of those Nailed It entries.

I have not made it again.

15 Likes

Oooh, you are brave to try a GBBS recipe! Looks very complicated and I know it was tasty… For the record, I LOVE marzipan.

2 Likes

Gorgeous!
I love marzipan, too.

1 Like

Looks delicious :yum:
I used to live in Sweden and prinsesstårta was a must have at every birthday.
Never had it anywhere else.

4 Likes

We have a Swedish restaurant/cafe chain called Miss Maud that has Princess Cake. I can’t stand marzipan, but my friend, whose grandparents are all Dutch, loves it and gets a little Princess Cake whenever we pass.

4 Likes

Looking good! It’s tricky to get the marzipan layer thin enough when making it from scratch.

I remember watching that episode and going ”Nooooo, that’s too thick!” I guess it’s one of those national treasure recipes you aren’t allowed to mess with. :joy: I traumatised my husband by making him watch Ann Reardons version (from How to cook that). She makes it upside down in a bowl, and used fondant.

My dad made a princess cake once, at my request for my birthday :grin: Otherwise it’s definitely the cake you leave for the pros. I worked in a in store pharmacy in a big (for sweden) grocery store that had a good bakery. They made rows upon rows of princess cakes for every occation, and some of the bakers were so sick of it. If there’s a reason to celebrate, there will be princess cake. Orange, pumpkin shaped ones in October. White student hat ones for graduation. Pink or blue ones for Christenings…

My favourite is the ”white lady” variation. It has white marzipan, and there’s chocolate in the filling.

7 Likes

I visited Sweden once, more than 10 years ago, and my main memory of Sweden was all the delicious food :heart_eyes: . All those gorgeous cakes.

@Sleepless-Ghost if you live in a country where they have Ikea, I know Ikea sold them in the past. I haven’t been there in a long time so I don’t know if they still do.

3 Likes

I remember this episode. Paul and Mary might not give you high marks, but I think it is beautiful!

1 Like

We have Ikea but they don’t have cakes.:frowning: They sell candies ,meatballs and dried bread snacks.

1 Like

Oh that’s a shame :frowning: I really love their cinnamon buns.

1 Like

Sounds like this is a capital-A ACCOMPLISHMENT! Congratuations!

This gave me a chuckle that relates to that old conversation about how we understand relative distances based on where we live or grew up. I live in a country with Ikea, but it would at least an 8-hour drive (weather permitting driving above the speed limit) to get to the closest store. I love how we all bring our different experiences and cultures to this wonderful place! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I think you’re being hard on yourself. Nicole and Jaques would be thrilled to have something this put-together laid in front of them.

2 Likes

I think when Europeans use the word country, Americans should maybe mentally replace it with “state” :laughing:

3 Likes

Totally! And often with the idea of states on or near the Atlantic Ocean. They tend to get bigger as they move west And Canadians with small portions of “Provence”!

3 Likes

This is true. Colorado is big. It takes me about 3-4 hours to get out of the state and that’s just going north or east. Going through the mountains west takes forever. South is about 5 hours depending if you hit rush hour traffic.

2 Likes

Province!

1 Like

Just for fun, I found this map where the outline of your state is drawn on the map of where I live:

I live just about right in the middle of this map, and while we’d consider all those places within driving distance, we still think driving to Paris is a pretty long distance! The Netherlands is apparantly bigger than Maryland but smaller than West Viriginia.

6 Likes

What a cool map! They say it takes longer to drive from the NW corner of Montana to the SE corner than it takes to drive from the SE corner of Montana to Texas. I am pretty sure some of that mileage has to do with going up and down and twisting and turning through mountains.

4 Likes

I love these types of conversations. I’m so intrigued by how things are different in other places.