Prosperity Hens Hanging Strands

Last May I took a road trip with my dog to Arcata, California to visit the Redwood Forest. I rented the most adorable Airstream camper trailer near the beach.

Hung up inside the trailer were these little strands of prosperity hens:

My mother had a strand of similar hens hung up in the bathroom when I was a kid and I had always loved them. After examining them I thought I could make some of these!

For last fall’s swap the shop I made 2 sets of hens and 2 sets of crows. The hens were made with leftover cotton scraps and the crows were made out of a crushed velvet I picked up on the discount rack. Beaks and colorful tails were bits of ribbon, embroidery floss and cut up gossamer bags. I attached 3 small brass bells at the bottom of each strand.

Prosperity Hens originate from India and are made from scraps of worn or stained saris. Traditionally they are hung in doorways to bring prosperity into your home.

27 Likes

I love these! The ribbon tails on the hens is such a fun detail and the blackness of the crows against the window is striking. What a great way to create a memory from both your childhood and your trip the Redwood Forest. Did you keep a set for yourself? I hope you did!

2 Likes

These are delightful! I love the twist of making crows, too.

1 Like

I was so happy to claim a strand of your hens in last fall’s Shop the Swap. They hang at my front door and make me smile every single day. Love them!

2 Likes

Love these little hens and the crows! Perfect!

1 Like

Oh I love these so much!! I’ve seen them in stores and gift shops but never knew the story behind them. I’m super jealous of your trip, it looks like it was AMAZING!!

1 Like

These are really fun- so colorful! I love that you took a childhood memory and turned it into your own art.

1 Like

I had never heard of these. They are cute and I love the inspiration!

2 Likes

Super cute & what an awesome scrap buster too.
I had a strand years ago, wonder where that went, hmm…

1 Like

My mother bought them in a shop in Chinatown San Francisco and I always assumed they originated from China. It wasn’t until after I saw them at the airstream that I researched them.

@AudiobookLover - I have not made a set for myself. I thought it would be fun to gather up meaningful scraps of fabric for each bird and I have saved some thinking I would one day be a quilter (it wasn’t meant to be) like a piece of the curtains I made for my first apartment and a piece of the bandana Pilot was wearing when I adopted him.

I’m hoping this summer I will do it. It’s a good hot weather project because you can sit in front of the a/c and hand sew little birds.

3 Likes

How cute!

I think I need a string of prosperity hens; I certainly have enough fabric, ribbon, and beads to make a flock!

1 Like

These are fantastic. I had never heard of prosperity hens, but I think I need some!

1 Like

I saw a string of these in an antiques mall today, then got an invitation to a friends birthday party. She loves birds, I think I need to make a string for her!

Thanks for posting this inspiration!

1 Like