Puffin Mosaic

I recently had the honor to test another of Abi McIntyre’s (Get Yer Hook On) amazing designs. This one is puffins!

She released the pattern today, and seeing the color choices of each tester is fun. It looks like each person visited the beach in a different season. Mine looks more spring/summery, a few look more autumnal, and a few are wintery.

The textures in this blanket are amazing, and I learned how to do tapestry mosaic for the beak section (using an additional color of yarn in a row. Mosaic is worked one color per row normally). I’m glad I got to test this one!

27 Likes

Gosh darn girl, that is incredible.

3 Likes

Wow, just wow!

2 Likes

This came out so awesome!! Yay for new techniques!!

2 Likes

That is awesome. Pattern and colour both great!

2 Likes

Oooh, I love your bright-color version!

2 Likes

Very fun!

2 Likes

You paint with crochet! This is magic to me…so much detail and color. What a great color combination as well. Just beautiful!

2 Likes

Wow! This turned out gorgeous!

2 Likes

Alas, you make me wish that yarn wasn’t my kryptonite. This is so cute! I had to check out her other designs. They are adorable. She is lucky to have such a talented person testing her patterns.

3 Likes

Wow, it looks so complicated and beautiful!

2 Likes

I love it!

2 Likes

:sun_behind_small_cloud: Congratulations! This little ray of sunshine is one of this week’s featured projects! :sun_behind_small_cloud:

2 Likes

I had to show my husband. He’s difficult to impress with yarn, but I think you did it.

I love the colours you picked!

2 Likes

I love this so much, I think I might have to learn mosaic crochet

2 Likes

Beautiful work! So bright and cherry and the puffins are adorable!

2 Likes

Wow, that’s so clever!! The puffins are wonderful!

2 Likes

I love this so much and so I’m thinking of making one. I learned mosaic crochet inspired by this.

I have a question, I’m half thinking of bringing this as a project on a holiday I’m going on in August. It’s 10 days, so I’m wondering how many colours you used, I’m flying with a budget airline, so weight is a consideration, so I don’t want to bring a million colours .

And the other thing I’m wondering is how much yarn for each colour?

1 Like

I used four colors total for mine. I used a white for the background. I used two cakes of Lion Brand Mandala for the rainbow color, a little bit of orange for the beaks, and some black for the puffin section. Here are my project notes.

Ah, that makes sense that you used the mandala yarn, I thought that was a whole collection of different colours, were the two mandala yarns different colourways?

1 Like