Puffy Cloud and Hearts Mobile Tutorial

I originally made this as a nursery decoration, but realized how great it would be as a photography prop, too! So simple to create. I’ve used a sewing machine maybe a dozen times in my life, so I am confident in saying this is a great project for any beginner. :heart:

puffy1

Supplies
Paper (I reused scraps of wrapping paper)
Pencil
Scissors
Felt in two colors (I used white and red, obviously)
Pins
Thread
Polyfill
Twine, yarn or ribbon for hanging

Steps

Create your happy cloud pattern. Just doodle it out in a random, happy fashion. It helps, if you also use a happy pencil. Mine has cartoon popsicles on it.
puffy2

Cut out the cloud pattern. :scissors:
puffy3

Pin the pattern to the felt. :round_pushpin:
puffy4

Cut out the felt cloud x 2 (one for front and one for back). :scissors:
puffy5

Pin the two sides of the cloud together (right sides out, as you will not be inverting this piece like a traditional pillow). :round_pushpin:
puffy6

Sew. Sew. Sew. :thread:
puffy7

As you get near the end, stop and stuff the cloud with polyfill. Finish sewing it.
puffy8

Hearts!

Same concept as the cloud. Create a pattern. Pin it to the felt. :heart:
puffy9

Cut out the felt hearts. Repeat as many times as your little heart desires.
puffy10

Sew 'em together! Insert the ribbon, yarn or twine and sew right over it. Don’t forget to stop and stuff them with polyfill before you finish sewing the perimeter.
puffy11

Attach the heart/raindrop strands to your cloud however you’d like. A simple stitch would do the trick. I just safety pinned mine to the back, so I can change the arrangement and length for photos. baby.sweets4ever has also requested a variety of different drops (blue & green drops, stars, etc.), so I’ll be able to easily mix it up! How cute would this be with those really big plastic teardrop “gemstones”? I bet it would make beautiful rainbow prisms all over the room!

puffy12

Enjoy!

I moved this project over from our old Craftster site by finding it on Wayback Machine. You can do the same for older projects of yours! Just download your photos and copy and paste your text to a new thread here. :heart:

9 Likes

This is an amazing prop! It photographs so well with the bold colors. Excellent craftsmanship too!

1 Like

So very cute!

Very very cute!

And I can say from experience that everything is better when you have a happy pencil!

3 thumbs up for your dual art1