Punch Needle Beginner

I’ve been contemplating teaching myself how to do the punch needle embroidery thing. It looks simple enough…I’ve dabbled in cross stitch and embroidery in the past, and punch needle looks easier to do. My goal is to eventually make an art project with some of those velvet or chenille yarns to give the work some extra texture.

I have no idea where to even begin. I was thinking of maybe buying a cheap punch needle kit from Amazon, just to try it out and learn my technique before I experiment with the fancier yarns.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve seen nice dollhouse size rugs done in punchneedle.

1 Like

Been thinking about this too! I did it as a kid and remember liking it.

1 Like

I hope you try it and let us know how it goes. I wanted to use a punch needle technique on a project several years ago, but never learned how. It’s still in my WIP box… Maybe if you learn, it will inspire me to give it a go as well. Good luck!

2 Likes

I’ve tried to do it and failed. The material you use matters, and I haven’t found the right material yet. @roler was more successful than I was. I wish you luck!!!

2 Likes

You can do it! I started with a cheep kit from Michaels and it worked fine. The key is practice like anything, you need to get the punches close enough together but not too close and then even on the in and out pass and learning to not lift the needle as it comes out you like slide it across the material. Weavers cloth or a fine mesh monks cloth work best depending on what you use (thread or yarn)

4 Likes

I tried & failed, it’s hard! Best of luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got talked into getting a kit from a semi-local club years ago at the state fair, and, er, haven’t ever opened it… :eyes: If you do take it up, I’d be fascinated to see some process pics or discussion as well as what you end up with!

2 Likes

It seems like it’s real hit-or-miss for people. They either catch on right away or it takes some diligent practice. It might be about the tools and materials and/or one’s craft “personality.” I have wanted to give it a try for a few specific projects for, oh I don’t know, 12 or more years, but have yet to take the leap.

1 Like

I added this kit to my cart, for my next Amazon order.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082LT6LXR/

A friend of mine does punch needle with the velvet / chenille yarns and they’re so pretty. She told me it’s easy to do…

I knit / crochet, so I may buy some of the fabric needed, a needle punch tool, and experiment with some leftover yarn bits.

1 Like

I really like punch needle! I have not done it in awhile, but I should pull it out again. I have needles for both embroidery thread and then bigger ones to use with regular yarn. They do take a bit to get the hang of but once you do, you will have fun.

2 Likes