Puppy Portrait Whiskey Glasses

For Christmas this year, I am giving my brother in law a set of whiskey glasses with portraits of their three dogs, plus Eddie, who has passed.

The glasses are Anchor Hocking, but I got them at a thrift store for a buck each, so that was good.

Making the stencils was a lot of trial and error. First I had to actually work up the portraits, distilling their features to only two colors; a breeze for the three who are black and white dogs, but a challenge for Ernie, a desert dog they adopted from Qatar. There were a lot of test cuts to then adjust the graphic to get them to cut reasonably at a small scale.

The labels are custom cocktail names. My sister worked up a cocktail recipe to match each dog’s personality, and the glasses will come with a small recipe book.

12 Likes

These are absolutely amazing. Armor Etch isnt always the easiest thing to work with. I love gifts that are personalized with pets. These completely rock!

1 Like

Armor Etch can be finicky, but for this project the thing that really tried my patience was the text. Some of those As, the little bit in the center was barely a sliver of vinyl, and I had to decide it just wasn’t going to be perfect, which is challenging for me. But no one is going to be studying them that closely except me, myself. So I think they are mostly passable. There will be two of each, and so I imagine there will be at least one really good one of each design. Lol

2 Likes

Oh wow. What a thoughtful gift. I’m sure they’ll be treasured. I love that they also come with cocktails?? Like above and beyond, dude. :heart_eyes: They look super professional too.

2 Likes

very nice

2 Likes

Love them! They are perfect and will be quite a nice gift for years to come!

2 Likes

These came out prefect! Love the recipe collab with your sister, too.

2 Likes

how sweet to combine portraits AND recipes.

did you know that sharpie marker works as a resist? you could use it to adjust or refine stencils that didn’t quite print right. test first, of course.

2 Likes

Such a fun idea! The images of the dogs look amazing, and to me, the lettering looks perfect. Even those tiny little slivers. What a gift! Your brother is going to love it.

2 Likes

These are absolutely amazingly awesome! And then you’re doing a set of 8!? Dang! And the recipes to go with? A perfect mix!

2 Likes

I did NOT know this and that is awesome! I haven’t used Armor Etch since about 2001, so I’m sure there are probably other tips and tricks I should know, but this one is game-changing!

1 Like