Purrmaid Pillow

I made this pillow for my niece’s upcoming birthday. The pillow was a kit and the backing fabric was way too big, but I unfortunately didn’t realize that until I had already sewn the front of the pillow to the middle band (there’s a front, a back, and a strip that runs along the middle providing more dimension). So I sewed most of the back to the middle band and ended up trimming the excess fabric at the top of the Purrmaid head, which resulted in the top of the head being a bit wonky (whoops).

Glamour shot:

Real life shot:

Tag printed on sparkly fabric:

26 Likes

Ah, that’s adorable!

1 Like

I love it!! So super cute. And your tag is so special!

2 Likes

It’s absolutely adorable!

2 Likes

She’s purrfect, and that tag is next-level awesomeness!

3 Likes

Its absolutely adorable. Did the kit come with the tag or did you make that separately? And how? Very cool.

1 Like

Sooooo cuuuuuute! And so snuggly looking!

1 Like

Very very cute. She will love it!

:mega: Wheeeeee dawgeez! :confetti_ball: Your fantastic craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :rocket:

1 Like

This is so cute! What a great gift!

1 Like

This is so adorable! I’m sure it will be a favorite gift for years to come. I love the tag! So amazing!

1 Like

Just so cute!

1 Like

Thank you all and thank you @TheMistressT for the feature!

@gozer, the kit did come with a tag with a space for me to write in the who/from info, but I decided to just print my own tag. Originally, this pillow was going to accompany an I-Spy quilt for my niece, so I used the same font that I used on the clue strip for the back or her quilt (the I-Spy quilt is still waiting for me to get my act together and finish it :roll_eyes:, lol). I cut a piece of fabric down to printer paper size and backed it with freezer paper. Then I just ran it through the printer. After it printed I hit the ink with my iron to heat set it.

When I did my first I-Spy quilt, I spent a lot of time figuring out which colors of ink would stand up to being washed and I found that black was the only one. Any colored ink would instantly run no matter how much I tried to heat set it. I even bought a product that is supposed to ‘fix’ the colored ink, but I found that while the colored ink would remain even after being washed, it would fade so badly that I was better off sticking with black. The black will also fade once washed (pic below), but it still works for my purposes.

2 Likes

Neat. I will have to experiment with this. Thanks!

1 Like

You’re welcome :blush:. When printing, I highly suggest freezer paper sheets vs a huge roll of freezer paper. They’re just more convenient.

1 Like

That’s one special niece you’ve got there! Cute mer-pillow!

1 Like

Thanks, @Lynx!

I am happy to report that the pillow was very well received! As soon as she opened it, she instantly oohed and awwed over it, then hugged it to her chest. While hugging it she made a comment about it having that ‘fresh, store-bought scent.’ I told her that was odd, because I didn’t by it in a store, I made it myself. She gave me a look of incredulity and proclaimed that made it all the better. I honestly couldn’t have asked for a better reaction :relaxed:.

Later, she told her mom (my sister), that for her next birthday she wants gifts like the one my sister gave her (a special journal) and the one I gave her, because she appreciates the thought that went into them. :heart:

5 Likes

What an adorable pillow, and what a great reaction. You’re a purr-fect auntie!

1 Like

It’s so cute and I love the tag you added. I don’t mind the head, it’s in the same shape as the body so it’s accentuating the cutie crescent shape. She’s gonna love it!

1 Like