Quilt-along 2021

A-I could/should dip my toes back into swapping. And a block swap is right in my wheelhouse.
Previous ones I think were groups of 4, and you made 3 per person if I recall? So you’d end up with 12 12" blocks.(if you made your 3😉)
I’m open to selecting 2 blocks to choose from.Easy and not so easy.I just don’t want any one to go to fandom in stitches paper piecing again.That round was brutal. (but I am open to paper piecing. I love it.)

And cost won’t factor to me.It’s likely all international and will likely run 5-7 bucks a package anyway.

And this is my afternoon. My entire basement floor. I’m a 1/4 done and so sad that we aren’t going to bars right now. Caus ei deserve a pint after this one is done.

6 Likes

I think I’m going to be really busy this next round of swapping, so not sure I’d be able to fit in a quilt block swap. That said, I think having a requirement to make ahead a preview of the block you want is a bit much, but maybe finding a link or some examples might be nice. I also think it would be nice to list several block choices so if you hopefully aren’t partnered with someone listing something you don’t feel comfortable making. Seeing as I feel like I’ll be busy, I’m more inclined to vote for 1 partner, but that’s just based on my life commitments.

I know @audiobooklover and I have thrown the idea to each other of doing a quilt swap within this quiltalong, so if it does not get picked in the general swap vote, we can talk here about doing an unofficial swap here.

1 Like

Ok, the Quilt Block Swap has been proposed. You can see it here:

1 Like

It’s hard to believe that today is the last day of March which means it is also your last day to get your quilt BOM submission for March in, as well as any of the quarterly prompts or challenges. We’ll be posting new ones before you know it!

I’m working tomorrow and Friday – we haven’t forgotten about our drawing… the winner will be in either tomorrow or Friday!

5 Likes

I was so close to finishing another quilt today, for the challenge theme. (This is one of the tops Edel sent me when we swapped earlier in the pandemic.) In fact, if my husband’s D&D game hadn’t been canceled tonight, I’d be stitching on the binding right now. As it stands the whole thing is quilted, and the binding is assembled and ready to go on. Guess I’ll just have to be satisfied with finishing it tomorrow.

4 Likes

I love the idea of doing a quilt block swap! Unfortunately, I don’t think I’d be able to participate this time around, which is ironic because that is one type of swap I have really wanted to be a part of!

I’m excited for the drawing! I’ve loved seeing all the participation these past few months!

I MistressJennie submit this as my April BOM entry.

For those of you working on the Card Trick block from the first (original) link; Be careful! I messed my original block up because I wasn’t careful enough. I intended to have the two pink shades opposite one another, and the two violets opposite. In a quick glance at the diagram it looked like the Cards were lettered clockwise as A, B, C, D, so I mentally labeled my pinks A & C, and the violets B & D. But they aren’t actually that way on the diagram! They place them clockwise as A, B, D, C. So I ended up with pinks next to one another, and my violets likewise. Because all of these are cut as triangles, I didn’t want to take my pieces apart to fix the situation, because I’d end up with stretched out pieces after seam ripping.

This is my original block:

If you’re worried about making the same mistake, download and use the ‘Placement Page’ that it recommends in Step 1. Since the block cutting leaves you with some leftover pieces, I recut the ones I needed to make a second, and redid it. But this time I laid out my pieces in the order I wanted them, rather than following the written instructions. After having made the first one, and being sure I had laid out the second correctly, the second went together so much faster!

Second piece of advice: The directions have your pieces come out exactly the right size, if you’re using a 1/4" foot. There is no room for squaring or trimming the block down, and if you sew with more than 1/4" seam, even a tiny bit more, your block will come out smaller overall than you planned. Mine came out just under 12.5". If you like to square your HSTs, or are worried about ending up with a too small block, then you might want to cut your pieces 1/4"-1/2" larger than written, and then trim them down after piecing them. When I pieced my second one, I just adjusted my needle position by 1 click, and that fixed the size problem for me.

Here are my two blocks side by side. The original is on the left, and the second one with the placement I intended is on the right.

12 Likes

So much helpful information, thank you! I will definitely be following all your advice when I go to make my block.

1 Like

I, Abbeeroad hereby submit my April BOM entry:

Thanks to @MistressJennie, I successfully placed my 2 banana fabric diagonal to each other!

BUT! I completely messed up my QSTs, even with the handy chart. I think I sewed the wrong side (for 3, not all 4 at least), so my background and focus fabrics were swapped on the quarter triangle side (no clue if I’m using terminology right, ha!). I actually did bust out my seam ripper and went to town to fix the problem. Mostly because if I could still see where I did stitch wrongly, it helped me know where to stitch correctly.

And, I actually liked that the squares were the right size without the extra squaring up cutting, but then, I’m not overly concerned about size as I’m likely using this as a stand-alone square.

9 Likes

Thank you for the tips and your lovely BOM. I’ve been contemplating this block’s design possibilities.

Banana happiness!

1 Like

I just missed submitting this block for the BOM, it’s been crazy here, and I did make this block when I had access to my sewing machine, which I don’t have right now.

6 Likes

@Edel, you didn’t miss it. The Card Trick is the BOM for April. You’re right on time.

1 Like

Thanks sweetie, my head is a bit fried today.

1 Like

Beautiful colours … I like the random Hello on one piece of fabric :smiley:

1 Like

I am so impressed that there are already 3 BOM entries on the first day of this new month.

1 Like

Hi all! Wow, I can’t believe we have BOMs already! Who am I kidding? Of course we do!

Getting ready to work on the drawing and then post the new prompt/challenge!

wow–all of these are great! I remember making a bunch of these for homerof2…and I imagine they might have been too small because I think I made all of the mistakes!

Thanks for the tips…maybe the one I make for the BOM will come out the size I need!

2 Likes

SURPRISE! @audiobooklover and I decided to draw for TWO winners for our very first LC Quiltalong prize drawing!
Drum roll please!
Our winners are:
@Cindy and @poetrylover828!

@Cindy please contact @lynx2lancer to claim your prize and @poetrylover828 please contact @audiobooklover to claims yours!

Thanks everyone for playing! We have a new quarter starting with new challenges and prompts!

April Prompt: Spring cleaning - finish a ufo or quilt something using at least 50% stash.

Next challenge (small, medium, and large): This quarter’s challenge is all about that project you’ve wanted to do, but haven’t had time for. The challenge is to get it out of your head and into your hands. Take that project you’ve been contemplating, planning out, or just dreaming about and turn it into reality. Whether it’s something you previously started and ended up putting aside, or something that you recently started considering, if you’ve been putting it off, it’s fair game for this challenge!

12 Likes

Congrats to the winners!! :star_struck:

1 Like