Quilt-along 2021

I recently bought one with a very colourful flower on it which Iā€™m hoping to use as a window covering in my new craft room when we build in the spring.

2 Likes

Iā€™m generally not a fan of panels, but I saw a cute alphabet quilt made from a panel when I was at the Amish quilt store in Sarasota, FL, so I figured Iā€™d buy one for a quick gift. Then, I saw some panels with coordinating fabrics (some that could be cut into strips for borders) at a discount store in Maine, so I grabbed a couple of sets. I got the poppy panel there, too. I asked her to cut a smidgen extra so I would have enough seam allowance once I cut it apart.

I have seen some cool uses of panels that are cut apart and arranged as part of the quilt front, but I donā€™t think Iā€™d ever make oneā€¦ but never say never!

3 Likes

@craftADDchick, panels are definitely a great way to go for quick baby quilts!

@Cindy, I love that idea and canā€™t wait to see it once youā€™re done!

@Lynx, Itā€™s funny that you ask this. Earlier today, I was just thinking about a panel that I purchased a while ago and wondering what to do with it. My next thought was, I wonder if the quilt group has ideas for how to use panels :laughing:.

I often feel stumped by panel, but I did pick up a sweet panel to make a quilt for LittleBookLover (it was on sale and I liked it so much, I picked up an additional two to make as baby gifts in case I ever need one - it sounds like @craftADDchick and I think alike in that regard ).

I saw a blog post where a lady cut the above panel into individual parts and made a quilt with them, but I personally love the layout of the design and plan on keeping the panel piece whole and adding borders with stars on the corners.

I thought this was a clever way to add to a panel and took this pic at a quilt show.

6 Likes

Oh thatā€™s a very cute quilt!

I have used panels for babyquilts quite a lot: Dinoroar kids quilt Ready, set, go! Baby quilt. I made a big quilt with that car panel too but I think that was posted on the dead site. I still have one of those dinosaur panels left over for the next baby.
I cut up the panel for the big dinosaur quilt but I wonā€™t do that for the next quilt. It was a lot of unnecessary work.

Iā€™m a very slow quilter so panels help me finish quilts quickly. And kids like fun fabrics and a nice warm blanket to snuggle under way more than fancy piecing and quilting.

2 Likes

Those are clever and creative! I think I just got some ugly panelsā€¦lolā€¦next time I go looking for a quick quilt, I will keep an open mind and look at the options!

4 Likes

I have finished the tutorial, hopefully it is understandable, but Covid seems to have turned me in to an impossible-to-understand communicator, I am de-evolving socially, next step I will move into a cave and develop a hobby of picking fleas out of my furs.

Heart patchwork block, pattern and tutorial - Fiber & Textile / Completed Projects - the Lettuce Craft Forums

any clarifications needed, let me know. There is a simpler option on the tutorial too.

5 Likes

Since Iā€™m in the quilty zone, I completed Januaryā€™s BOM the sawtoothed star, which is really nice.

It also plays nice with Februaryā€™s block-both kinds.

6 Likes

Thank you for the tutorial!

Your sawtooth Star came out nice! The colors in both blocks go together nicely!

Iā€™m still debating on fabric choices for the BOM. I have two 10ā€ square stacks and either one should work well for this, but Iā€™m unsure if those are the fabrics I want to use. Too much overthinking :roll_eyes:, lol.

1 Like

Has anyone ever done a one block wonder quilt? I have this fabric that I must have bought in the 90s and itā€™s really dated. I donā€™t like it now, but Iā€™m thinking it might work for a one block wonder since it has plenty of colour and a fairly big pattern.

2 Likes

@edel Thank you for the tutorial! I awarded you your ticket for Januaryā€™s BOM, and went ahead since you created the pattern for us a ticket for Februaryā€™s BOM as well.

That said, in general, tickets are only going to be awarded 1x/month for the current BOM.

I was busy this morning and finally finished piecing the 2018 Row by Row Experience quilt block I finally started a few days ago. I am glad I never started this when I purchased it. I am more skilled now, but even still made mistakes. You canā€™t see from the picture, but I either didnā€™t notice in the directions (or it was somehow omitted) to add green to the left of the music notes and to the right of the sewing machine, so I had to add that plus extra wood frame to make that bottom section as long as the top.

I Lynx2Lancer offer this row by row experience block for Januaryā€™s prompt!

Itā€™ll end up as a mini quilt, but I am not sure yet what I will do for backing and binding.

I Lynx2Lancer offer this as my January BOM.

I have decided I will use these BOM as scrappy stash busting. This square turned out about 10". The blue center and the green squares are from the RbyR Experience block. The other are from stash.

The points are so pretty right now; Iā€™m sad they will end up slightly blunt when they are sewn into seams as the BOM goes on. The blue center makes me think of a mirror or windowā€¦likeā€¦what do you see all the way out there??

7 Likes

Your landscape scene turned out really nice!!!

2 Likes

That landscape scene looks great as does your Jan BOM

1 Like

I donā€™t know what a One Block Wonder Quilt is, so now Iā€™m curious!

And, I have a selection of fabric that I randomly bought. I was trying to pick fabrics for something else, and started putting bolts in my cart and realized they would go well together for a quilt. I need to dig them out because Iā€™ll need to choose a solid background color. Once I have the fabric unearthed, Iā€™ll probably be back here for advice on color options.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just found a great app to see what a fabric would look like in a one block wonder. This is what the fabric I showed above would look like.

The picture below is really dark for some reason. But i love it, so Iā€™ll definitely start tomorrow

The online app is one block wonder helper

6 Likes

I have the book and the ā€œuglyā€ fabricā€¦just havenā€™t started it either!

Iā€™ll do it if you do it! I donā€™t have the book, but there are tons of YouTube videos.

I am cutting out the fabrics for the BOM tonight and I did want to finish a small wipā€¦it just needs to be boundā€¦

I also found a use for some of the pillowcases I was going to trashā€¦tote bag liners! They are solid colored and wonā€™t be seen on the outsideā€¦I need to do something instead of watching our news right nowā€¦ughā€¦

2 Likes

That is an awesome idea!

2 Likes

Iā€™m waiting on some wadding to arrive in the mail before I can finish my baby quilt. So itā€™s time for something new.

Weā€™re glued to the news here. It must be making you sick.

Pillowcases are often nice cotton-great for tie dying

1 Like

I have an important irl work meeting early tomorrow morning. I have to leave the house 8 hours from now. I think at least half of us will need a lot of coffee tomorrowā€¦

@Edel great idea! The fabric makes me happy because I would have loved that back then. I had not heard of one block wonder quilts, but the images on Google look great!