Quilt-along 2021

You’re on fire!

1 Like

Very inspiring to see everyone’s hard work here! And especially the BOM blocks. I only completed January, but I do really want to finish the rest of the year over the Christmas holidays. We aren’t going anywhere this year due to Covid so plenty of time for sewing.

2 Likes

Time to quilt this beauty. I started it last winter but, masks and then spring/summer got in the way. Temperatures are dropping, so time to finish my lap robe.

Laid out at last. Part of my delay was figuring out how to lengthen it…creatively. I had run out of most the fabrics. Finally just added the dark to the ends.

15 Likes

I love this quilt. The pattern, the fabrics ~ chef’s kiss

3 Likes

There’s been so much good stuff posted lately! @MistressJennie, I really like you Christmas colored blocks! I’m looking forward to seeing your placemats!
@edel, I love that cushion cover!
@marionberries, your quilt is beautiful! I’d name it ‘Autumnal Splendor.’ I really like the use of the darker fabrics. It gives the quilt a luxurious look that makes me want to snuggle near a fireplace with a mug of hot chocolate!

3 Likes

Spent the morning cutting these to size. The blocks on the left are for a baby quilt, the blocks on the right are cut-offs from the large blocks in the Dinoroar kids quilt that I made a while back that I finally got around to iron and square up. A few blocks turned out too small but I’ll find another way to use them.

I’m using a 12,5" ruler which is not super convenient. Does anyone have a recommendation for a ruler to square up smaller blocks, preferably with the diagonal marked on the ruler? These are 4,5" and I work with that size of block quite often.

5 Likes

I don’t usually like single-purpose rulers, and generally just use my 24"x5". But when I had a big pile of HST’s to square up earlier this year, I decided to test out the Bloc Loc Rulers. They are AMAZING. A little pricey, but if you have a big stack to square up, they really do help save your sanity. I bought the 3.5" one because that was what was needed for the project I was working on, but I also just re-used it while making 2.5" HSTs. They have markings every 1/2", so I squared off a sliver along the top and right edges, then spun it (on my rotating cutting mat, but you could also just move to the side of your table), and lined up the freshly cut edges with the 1" marks, and trimmed the bottom and left edges. Perfect 2.5" HST’s, without buying a new ruler.

I had a regular 3.5" square ruler in my stash from somewhere/someone, and had tried it with the HSTs, but I found it terribly frustrating. The ruler was completely flat, and it wanted to wiggle when placed on the HST’s. Kind of like the board across a see-saw. The Bloc Loc rulers are intended for trimming HST’s, and have a grove running down the center, where your seam allowance nestles, meaning the ruler lays nice and flat on the block as you trim. I can easily see myself buying more of these rulers in other sizes, as I come across projects using bigger HST’s.

(P.S. Sorry, I know you’re not in the States, and I linked to the ruler on Amazon’s US site. I just wanted you to at least be able to see what I was talking about.)

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll look them up! I’m usually not a fan of one-trick tools either but I end up doing 4,5" HST a lot, so this is one thing that might be worth it. Right now I use a 12,5" square ruler with a diagonal line, and while it works, it’s a hassle, and indeed, sometimes the block don’t want to lie completely flat because of the seam allowance.

My local quilt shops barely stock any type of rules so I’ll have to google where to buy them here, but in the worst case, I can always order from the US. I usually do one bulk order of craft supplies from the US every year.

I found the blocklock rulers very very expensive in this part of the world. This 4.5" one is €30 (:scream:) Although they look great

AliExpress has a lot of basic square ones. It’ll just take time for them to arrive.

1 Like

Yeah, they are about $25-35 each here. But now that I’ve tried it, I’m never going back. They work so much better than a flat ruler for HST’s.

1 Like

Good to know. I’ll put it on my wish list and get one eventually.

1 Like

I agree that the Bloc Loc ruler is pretty great. I also like that you can trim all sizes of HSTs up to the ruler size you have. I think I have the 6.5” ruler, which has come in handy for a few projects!

1 Like

Oh that’s good to know!! I’ve found an online shop in my country that sells several sizes together as a set (for €120 :open_mouth: ) but it’s good to know that the larger size works for smaller blocks too. No need to get a 2,5" , a 4,5" and a 6,5" if the bigger one works for all of those sizes. I hope we’ll ever get out of lockdown so I can go to a quilt show again and try a few rulers IRL.

2 Likes

I marionberries submit this as my Dec BOM entry.

Fun block with the paper piecing, though I only did the fancy blocks on the sides with paper piecing. I wouldn’t want to create a full-size quilt with this method! @MistressJennie is right, traditional quilting techniques would work just as well. But it was fun trying this method. It’s a beautiful block. Staying in my overall color scheme has been a challenge, but I’ve made it work. This is so Starry Nightish.

10 Likes

I like your blue and yellow combo. It’s so cheery!

1 Like

Ooooh, it is totally Starry Nightish! I love your fabric choices!

1 Like

@marionberries Yes, absolutely Starry Night-ish! Beautiful!

I’ve made progress on my table runner, the top is done now. It’s a pretty quick item to make, I think this took me 2 hours and I’m not a fast sewist.

7 Likes

It totally is starry nightish!

1 Like

I keep reminding myself that perfect is the enemy of completion. And that the makers sees all the mistakes, that others don’t see.

I finished this for my sister, it was a kind of an obligation quilt rather than being made truly from the heart (I’m sure you know the difference). Plus I was struggling with having thrown my back out Vs getting it done for Christmas. So the corners are seriously wonky. But it turned out pretty nice despite all that. And she is a maker, so she will appreciate the work that has gone into it.

I made it from 5" squares that @madebyBeaG kindly gave me, my sister’s favourite colours are bless and reds, there is a pure wool blanket for wadding and so the heft is really nice. Large lap quilt size, straight line quilting, no real pattern, just pieced in strips, with plenty of white in between rows (very forgiving of misalignment and very fast to piece)

13 Likes

I’m so glad to see you were able to use my leftover cotton fabric squares!
The quilt turned out beautiful!
I’m sure your sister will love it very much.

1 Like