Quilt-along 2021

That is a really nice collection of fabrics

2 Likes

I finished the lap quilt I started last winter. I had embroidered 2021 on it so had to finish…2022 is so close. I’ll post soon.

But it’s time to start on the porch quilts for cool evenings. I haven’t decided on the sashing yet, but I do have the backing. And the layout keeps shifting. I may just close my eyes and let the squares fall where they want to.

And the new one. I’m off to post it to its own post.

14 Likes

-I MistressJennie offer Candle Mat for my small challenge entry.

-I MistressJennie offer Christmas Tree Wall Quilt for my medium challenge entry.

-I MistressJennie offer Christmas Placemats for my large challenge entry.

13 Likes

Those are all really beautiful

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

2 Likes

I don’t think this falls under any prompts so it’s not an entry, just wanted to share something I’ve quilted in the last few months

5 Likes

I know I’m jumping the gun a bit, but I’m just wondering if we’ll be doing another round of this very lovely Craftalong for 2022?

3 Likes

Yes, we plan to, and the awesome @AudiobookLover will take the lead.

Do we want a block of the month again? Thoughts? I know many of us lost steam on it.

What did you like most about the quiltalong? Keep or trim down the prompts/challenges/BOM?

3 Likes

I’m really glad we’re doing it again next year. I started on the BOM, but intend to finish the 2021 ones, so I’d be glad to see 2022 BOMs

3 Likes

I’d love to see BOM’s come back. Perhaps with partial credit if they are done outside the specified month. Like 2 points if done on time, and 1 point if done late. That might give folks incentive to catch up if they fall behind.

And maybe a ‘free spot’ category to post finished items that don’t match the prompts or challenges. Like if your project just doesn’t fit any of the categories, you could still get credit for doing and posting it.

3 Likes

@MistressJennie, I like those ideas!

Does anybody else have thoughts or suggestions for proceeding in the new year? Any prompt or challenge ideas?

1 Like

Those are great ideas!

Do peope like the BOM style we did, or any ideas for one for next year?

1 Like

I really liked the BOM but as someone who hasn’t done a lot of complicated blocks before, it was hard! Way more difficult than I expected. That’s a good thing because I learned a lot from you all, but it meant that I took 3 nights or so to finish the January block in the “good” fabric. Then in Feb I started an intensive course for work and you can guess what happened next…

The past 1,5 weeks have been my first time off since last Christmas and I have a few more things to catch up on before I can go back to last year’s BOM. I really do love the BOM’s because we’re all doing a complicated block together, but I already know next year I also won’t be able to finish a block every month. So I’d love a BOM next year, too, but realistically I’ll always be dropping in and out.

I have to say over this year I learned more about the technical side of quilting from all of you than I’ve learned in the past 15 years of making pretty basic, simple quilts. So thank you all for that!!

4 Likes

I really enjoyed 2021’s BOM, learned so much. But I’m not sure what I would end up making with 12 or more BOMs. All the grands have their quilts, we have enough lap robes for guests or for doubling up.

But I loved making new blocks. Maybe I need to make one for a donation!

3 Likes

You could also do something like make potholders with them, or wall quilts.

3 Likes

Yes! I made little coaster style rugs with some of my blocks from this year.

15 Likes

So cute!

2 Likes

They are so flippin’ cute Abbie!

2 Likes

Very nice! I’ve been wanting to make some quilt block coasters, but haven’t gotten around to it. Yours look great!

2 Likes

Happy New Year!! Thank you to each and every person who has contributed to this craftalong and made it the success it has been!! All the projects shared, the BOMs completed, help, encouragement, and community has made this great.

@AudiobookLover will take over the leading reins in 2022, but I will still be part of the quiltaong team.

We had two participants who were very diligent this last quarter, and for their hard work, both @marionberries and @MistressJennie will receive a prize! @marionberries please pm me, and @MistressJennie please pm @AudiobookLover to claim your prize!

Marionberries completed (or I caught) all prompts/challenges but 1 and all BOMs!!

MistressJennie completed all challenges and BOMs!

Way to go ladies!

Thanks again to everyone who participated in any way (even if you just lurked and read!).

8 Likes