Quilt-along 2021

Awesome idea for the dresden pieces!

1 Like

Purrrrfict. The dresden bits you have are nice and textured so this would be an awesome cat quilt.

4 Likes

More progress on my Christmas quilt.

14 Likes

I love the colors revealing themselves, @Cindy.

2 Likes

It’s looking good!

1 Like

I EdelC offer this for the medium challenge

I’m in a complete quilting frenzy at the moment. Makes a nice change from our first lockdown when I had zero crafty mojo.

A scrappy quilt, which has a thread here Scrap quilt and thoughts on organising scrap fabric

18 Likes

Look at that ol switcheroo in the fabric.

But those blocks in the upper right make my heart sing!!!

1 Like

The switcheroo is really clever (not my idea) but it lifts the quilt into something that looks really planned.

That upper right is mostly fabric I’ve tie-dyed.

4 Likes

It’s so bright and cheery!

1 Like

I’m not sure if I’ll have much quilting to contribute to this thread myself, but I am loving looking at everyone’s beautiful work, and reading your clever ideas!!

6 Likes

That’s really beautiful! I really love that stripe!

Unfortunately there is no sewing for me for at least 10 days. I was supposed to have sinus surgery today, but I was shocked on Sunday when I tested positive for a low viral load of Covid. We have been so careful and I have done everything right! So, I am supposed to isolate from my family and now they have to quarantine for 14 days. I am what I consider asymptomatic/mild. It’s hard to know because some of the things I feel occasionally (headaches) are normal for me. Mr. Lynx, dd, and I all had what we thought was sinus mid-Dec, so now in hindsight, it might have actually been Covid. My dr said I could have a positive result as much as 90 days after infection, and based on the fact I feel okay now, but wasn’t 100% then, hindsight makes me think I am not infectious now and really hope none of us start to show symptoms. It is so frustrating.

7 Likes

That must be really frustrating for you, if you’re feeling ok you must really want to get your hands on something crafty…

2 Likes

Yes, luckily I can work on other crafty things!

4 Likes

Oooh, I really like all the different sized panels! What a fun look!

Oh wow, I adore this aesthetic. All the scrappy pieces are beautiful and the reverse gradient in the stripe is so striking!

Oh no! I’m so glad you’re not feeling too bad right now, and I hope you and your family all recover quickly!

1 Like

Oh no! I agree with @roler, I’m glad you aren’t feeling bad right now and I hope that you get through it without feeling yuck at all.

How are you going to manage isolating from your family?

1 Like

Right now I’m kicking myself for not sending my sewing machine in for repairs earlier. It’s broken in many different small ways, but still, you know, sews, so I resisted getting repairs during my mask marathon (I made and gave away about 1,000 masks with Mom, after which she took over the whole process with her 1970’s machine!), but I haven’t used my machine now in months and I totally could have had it worked on in that time. Every place I’ve called has said they’ll need to keep it for at least three weeks. And of course now I want to use it again, and once again don’t want to give it up for three weeks.

My machine is a Singer, a fairly recent model (I think under five years old?), and I bought it in Japan. All the writing on the machine is in Japanese, but since it’s a Singer, I’d assume it works the same as the ones in English-speaking places?

It looks mooostly like this: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Singer-Machine-Computer-Special-specification/dp/B0084YEASW (It’s not pink, but maybe everything else is the same? It’s certainly a Singer mon ami SC-100!)

I am not an expert on sewing machines, but I don’t think this one was made for quilting. The dogs do not come down on their own (I’ve heard of the playing card trick to cover them but haven’t tried it), and it doesn’t have a long arm.

Right now, the foot is super wobbly (it’s missing a tiny spring), the needle threader doesn’t work, the thread cutter is too dull to do anything, and I’m pretty sure it’s got a few other problems as well. The main problem is the super wobbly foot, which MIGHT be an easy fix for a professional, but I don’t know. Oh, and also it’s been slowly getting worse at winding bobbins, and now can hardly do it at all.

So basically, here are my questions for you knowledgeable quilters!

1. Is it worth getting this repaired, or would I be better off getting a new/different machine (not just for quilting but for simple multi-purpose sewing)?

2. Do you think a repairperson here (in the US) would look at it, even though it’s in Japanese?

Stay positive. We are sending happy thoughts!

2 Likes

There is no easy way to do complete isolation, but we will do as much as we can, and when we can’t we are wearing masks.

2 Likes

My old singer is from about the 1970’s…the cutter has long been shot, but I bought one that can attach right to the sewing machine and it has worked fine. The needle threader is also broken, but I can thread it if I put on my glasses. I have quilted quite a lot and never had the feed dogs down or used a card and it quilts just fine. If you know the presser foot is just missing the spring, go to an Ace hardware or local place with a picture, part number, etc…they might have it. My guess is that you probably need a good cleaning an oiling and possibly a new belt if the bobbins aren’t winding (unless it is the kind that winds right in place like some do, which I know nothing about…)…

Depends on how much you paid for it as well…it would cost probably about $100 minimum to just look at it, without parts and all. Is it worth it or not? New sewing machines can range from very inexpensive and yet great to very expensive and great…

Most sewing machines are made in China or overseas but they all work about the same so a reputable sewing repair shop doesn’t care where it was made…look at how many are made in in Europe…Bernina, Janome, etc. (but still manufactured in China probably!)…

4 Likes

In my area, it’s $95 minimum for a tune-up, more if anything needs real work. My local shop will work on just about anything (even antiques). If your machine doesn’t do what you need it to do even when it’s in good order, I would consider an upgrade. With all of the mask-making frenzy and the supply-chain interruptions of the last year, mid-range machines aren’t easy to find. My MIL was looking to replace her old machine this year and was having a helluva time of it. We ended up getting her one for Christmas (it was a Brother cs7000i, and an all-around great little machine - decent for quilting, too).

3 Likes