Quilt-along 2021

Good to know they play well together! Really excited for your new adventure!

Or you can add a border sashing to make them the same size. All the more fun!

1 Like

Wonderful colour combination.

Beautiful!

Thanks for the heads upā€¦I actually was thinking of making a few different sizes and mixing it upā€¦when I was in the quilt block swap, even though I asked for a specific size, not all of the blocks even of the same pattern were exactly the same sizeā€¦I did manage to make them all fit with sashing or ā€œcreative sewingā€ā€¦that is the fun and challenge of samplersā€¦I sort of want to make the heart pattern as my center and then surround it with the other patternsā€¦that is what I am planning sort of ahead!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve considered that idea too!

1 Like

I have this pack - the colors and prints are sublime. I made a scrappy prayer flag for Abbeeroad, and will probably make a small project with the remainder, because the colors are just fantastic.

4 Likes

Ooo! It looks lovely!!! I kinda want to get a coordinating gray and give a go at a real quilt.

2 Likes

Love that fabric and my flag!

And speaking of different sized blocksā€¦I decided I wanted to try mini versions, so I did a (roughly) 4.5 inch square block for the Jan BOM:

Nothing lines up but Iā€™m honestly surprised itā€™s not worse. :laughing:

Not sure Iā€™ll be able to do mini versions for all monthsā€¦weā€™ll see!

12 Likes

A grey would be really lovely against the steel undertones in the fabric! I canā€™t wait to see what you make with it!

1 Like

I see lots of perfect corners! Rejoice in those! It is so cute in its wee size!

1 Like

I like the smaller sizes because they can become the cutest coasters or part of a mug rugā€¦I am seriously thinking of making small sizes with Christmas fabric and mask scraps to make coaster sets to give out or do RAKā€¦

So cute. @Abbeeroad!

3 Likes

The polka-dotted points are so cute!! :slight_smile: Love the color combo.

1 Like

Congrats on your new sewing machine, @roler! I canā€™t wait to see your January BOM :wink:.

@Whistlefish, I feel your pain! It took me forever to figure out what was causing issues and how to fix them on my machine. I had a goal of becoming proficient with my machine and it always seemed out of my reach. Once I started using it regularly, I began to learn what was causing certain issues and how to fix them. I feel that I have reached my proficiency goal and I am so happy to be able to use the machine without always having to call my mom or husband to figure out how to fix bird nesting bobbin thread (it seemed to happen every time)! I still canā€™t sew a straight line and my seam ripper makes an appearance at nearly every project I attempt, but I now understand my machine in ways I never did before!

That fabric you picked up is beautiful!

@marionberries, thatā€™s a great quilt top that you whipped up. I bet the flannel is nice and cozy!

I love your little block, @Abbeeroad!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea! A little wall hanging of the blocks would be super cute!

3 Likes

While I was cutting out Christmas fabrics to send to @PrincessP, I decided I might as well cut some projects that I had in mind while I still had them outā€¦hope to finish this project today, if I donā€™t have to go pick up my car. I have an old car so things are starting to break downā€¦yikes, new brakes and state inspection all at one time! I have to go look for a new car, but I hate car shopping so muchā€¦letā€™s hope the garage is busy or closed todayā€¦ ha

13 Likes

@Whistlefish, those fabrics are stunning! Whatā€™s the designer/line?

1 Like

Iā€™m playing around with some more 12ā€ blocks, in the same black & jewel toned theme. This is the Bento Box block. In real life the greens are a lot closer to one another in color, but in this photo they look more disparate.

Iā€™m really enjoying using up scraps and stash busting. The only problems are that Iā€™m now nearly out of black scraps entirely, and itā€™s taking me so long on each block to figure out what color of scraps to use.
Iā€™m trying to mix and match within a color group to make blocks that look intentional, and I donā€™t always have enough of the right sizes to cut from. Itā€™s literally taking me 2-3 times as long as it would on each block, just trying to figure out what to cut from what, but I do like the challenge. Iā€™m going to have to go to the quilt shop around the corner today to pick up some more black, so I can keep going with this theme over the year.

11 Likes

This block looks super fun!

Hereā€™s the pattern for it Abbee: Bento Box Block

2 Likes

Nice block! I am also going to have a problem because I have a lot of background type of fabrics but nothing that is a focus fabric. I know I have a piece of fabric that will work but I put it somewhere ā€œspecialā€ before I moved and just canā€™t find it!

I am going to do a few practice runs on the Sawtooth before cutting into larger fabrics and just hope I can find that fabric before the month ends!

Where are you using black in your blocks? The ones you have done so far look terrific with the navy.

1 Like