Quilt-along 2021

Part of it is the math thing…lol…most quilts have standard sizes that you cut and they all fit because of the math…notice how many things are 1/2 inch…that is because seams are 1/4 inch all around!

Believe me, you are doing great and after a few blocks, it will be old hat to you…keep up the good work and enthusiasm…I find that even “mistakes” can be fixed pretty much one way or the other!

2 Likes

I had this same issue. I distinctly remember reading it was important to trim the geese before sewing the strips…misleading!

3 Likes

I haven’t read the instructions yet…some are better than others…and I think some is just because of experience…if you guys ever have any doubt, you can PM me and many others here to muddle through it with you…just don’t get discouraged…all things can be fixed!

3 Likes

That is really cool! My dh works in IT so he’d appreciate that! I love how the green just really pops out!

Thanks for sharing the link to the pattern. She has a lot of fun patterns!

2 Likes

Lol. I’m pretty good at just plowing ahead! :laughing: But thank you!! :star_struck:

That circuit board quilt is awesome!!!

2 Likes

I roler submit this as my January BOM entry.

It’s a wee bit smaller than planned, and those pretty points are destined to get gulped up in future seam allowances, but overall I’m pretty pleased with it! :slight_smile: Looking forward to making more blocks with you all! Thanks so much for the help so far!

Btw, I adore that bento box block! Any chance that will be a future BOM?

11 Likes

Do you want to nominate it?

1 Like

Sure, I’d love some extra motivation to try it out myself! :slight_smile: It’s so pretty!

3 Likes

Ok, I’ll add your BOM to the spreadsheet and the block nomination to the first post tomorrow!

1 Like

Last block of the day, a super simple Zig Zag block.

Meanwhile, thanks to Edel, I’ve also created a stack of 2.5” Starters & Enders blocks.

And this is all the black scraps I have left!

5 Likes

It’s also super easy. Basically making 4 small Log Cabin blocks and putting them together. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! I was about to ask the same thing!

1 Like

I worked on borders today and hope to finish tomorrow, then I’ll post a progress photo.

I’m waffling about the BOM because I don’t want another quilt made from random blocks so not sure what I’d do with them at years end.

2 Likes

I’ve been a bit bogged down with school, but here’s the bulk of the fabric I’m planning to use for the BOM blocks. But, I need some input…

What color(s) should I use for my solids?

5 Likes

I Whistlefish offer A Mini Mug Rug for January’s Something New Prompt .

Since I was annoyed at my ineptitude making the BOM earlier I decided I’d do a bit of practice this evening. I made two different blocks (no pattern) and they ended up being the same size so I put them together and made a little mug rug!

Things I worked on: making sure my seam allowances were on point, ensuring I press my seams the right way, changing my rotary cutter blade because it was dull (inspired by @PrincessP! Lol)

Things I need to practice on: stitching in the ditch, binding in general, how to end the friggin binding properly.

Any and all advice is welcome!

10 Likes

:rofl: I still haven’t changed mine! :see_no_evil:

Very cute wizardy fabric too :star_struck:

This is a helpful binding tutorial

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ll give that a watch!

2 Likes

I always used @MareMare’s binding tutorial on the dead site but it’s gone now. For mug rugs I often just fold over the backing fabric to the front.

1 Like

My suggestions are the blue I circled and green I checked.

3 Likes

How great, Alex! Would you like me to add this as your January prompt ticket—making something new for you? I think binding just takes practice. I have been getting better at it myself.

Just a reminder everyone–we have lots of opportunities to earn tickets beyond the fun BOM. We have monthly prompts and quarterly challenges! Check the first post!

2 Likes