Quilt-along 2021

No it’s the one on the right hand edge, three blocks up from the bottom (half way between the bottom and the yellow strip of elephants)

But if I have to tell you where it is, then it must not be too bad :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t see it either.

1 Like

I didn’t see it either until you mentioned it! There are a few blocks that stand out (that one, the birds, the apples) but not in a bad way. The fabric choices are all non-traditional but that’s by design. It’s what makes this quilt so great. I’m sure she’ll love that you dyed and stamped the fabric and included fabrics and designs that refer to the baby’s and the baby’s mother’s heritage, and to your own connection to the baby by including your wedding fabric.

1 Like

Thanks @Immaculata @marionberries @Lynx I really appreciate the feedback. And I’m very happy to leave it alone.

You’re right Immaculata about the non-traditional fabric designs, there are of course flamingos in there and space rockets (baby’s grandfather-to-be is also a total need)

3 Likes

I had no idea what you were talking about until you pointed it out…just remember that when a quilt is being used, it is usually bunched up and not lain out flat…if it is not in use as a bedcover, then it is folded…no one will see it in its “entirety” like you do…I would leave it and call it happy!

1 Like

I’m in! I’ve found my crowd :smiley:

That looks fantastic @Edel x I know what you mean about the darker elephant fabrics, but only because you pointed it out - I wouldn’t unpick x

I made my first two mini quilts yesterday, on the first day of the year - from upcycled pyjama pants that were too big for me anymore :slight_smile:

8 Likes

After the party I want to get started on quilting my grand nephew’s baby quilt. Wish me luck. Since it is about 4 feet square, it won’t t be too hard and he’s a baby! They are so accepting.

8 Likes

I like the colors in that @marionberries. Is that lighter blue a velvety material?

And, I just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqju_-eVnAM

It looks like a fun and easy block (the brown goose block) for the Block-A-Month

2 Likes

@craftADDchick its turquiose with a darker shade sort of brushed across. But just plain quilting cotton. I like that it is less jarring than a solid color. That shade of blue makes my teeth hurt, but it really works here.

3 Likes

I’ll try to play along this year! I’ve got some quilt blocks laying around that should be turned into something, and I found a bundle of fabrics sent to me by the lovely MareMare to make a Mason Jar quilt ages ago, that I never got around to. I’d love to make some of those blocks up to put aside for a future quilt. And when I was making masks this year, and making quilt fronts to swap with Edel, I did some stash organizing, cutting down scraps into 2.5" wide strips and 2.5" squares. I’d love to use some of them up.

Meanwhile the supply I’d recommend that I haven’t seen come up yet here is Omnigrid InvisiGRIP. The stuff is magical. It comes in a roll, and is a clear substance, that you attach to the back of your quilting rulers, so they don’t slide around on your fabric while cutting. Pinkleo sent me a tube years ago, and I hadn’t applied it, until that aforementioned stash organizing last year. It was AMAZING how nicely it worked while cutting row after row of scraps down.

3 Likes

“How to Quilt a Big Quilt on a Standard Sewing Machine” was perfect timing. Thank you. Good tips.

4 Likes

@craftADDchick, that looks like a great 3rd block for the BOM! I love the Missouri Star Quilt Company, they provide so many free tutorials and are really good at explaining everything. The other nice thing is that you can also buy the quilt patterns from their videos, so if you prefer working from a pattern rather than a video, that’s also an option.

@MistressJennie, I look forward to seeing what you make with your 2.5" scraps! Thank you for the tip on the Omnigrid InvisiGRIP! I’ve tried using a few anti-slip materials, but I’ve never come across anything that I’ve really been happy with, it sounds like this product may be the perfect solution!

We now have our first three blocks of the month, woohoo! I can’t wait to see what we come up with for the next 9, this is going to be a fun quilt to create!

2 Likes

I use the adhesive dots…replace them as they lose their grip…I don’t really have a problem with my rulers slipping since I mostly stand and use a handle grip to my rulers…

Yay for getting some nice blocks to try out!

2 Likes

Is there a link to the written pattern for that Brown Goose Block? @AudiobookLover, do you know?

@Immaculata about quilting rulers. If you go on AliExpress, you’ll find all the rulers you could hope for, in metric. I’ve found that the bulk of quilting patterns online, in English, are in Imperial measurements. So I mostly work in inches. But having a few rulers, even if they’re in a different measurement system, is handy. Especially small squares that approximate 6", very handy for trimming.

@MistressJennie yay, I’m glad you’re joining us.

@marionberries that’s a lovely colour collection. Really nice.

So I’ve been working on the block I’m going to suggest for our lettuce BOM, I’ve simplified it a bit, so I’ll write up a pattern if you guys are happy to do this one? It’s partially scrap friendly. (The corners are modified log cabin)

This is just a quick and dirty first attempt. So not exactly lined up, but it will come out to 12.5" giving a quarter inch seam allowance.

11 Likes

It is very pretty and would make a lovely Valentine cushion cover!

3 Likes

I think it is perfect.

1 Like

The block is made up of half square triangles using an 8 at a time HST method. The triangles are then arranged in that particular pattern. This is the 8 HST at a time method along with a handy sizing chart (the block in the video is done with the 4" finished HST info).

@Edel, I like that block!

2 Likes

Cool. I’d like to link to a paper pattern or step by step non-video, but can definitely post video link too ( the top post for our BOM. I can’t really watch videos too much due to our dumb data cap.

In 2018 I purchased this one and only Row by Row experience block which I then never did anything with it, so today:

I obviously have work to do with seams and piecing, but that comes with time and practice! This will be a good promt/challenge entry for me. Speaking of which, I will come up with an “entry prompt to” "fill out.

5 Likes

The metric/imperial thing is a permanent challenge! I draft my own sewing patterns using the metric system so I have a few dressmaker’s rulers in that size. My small A4 cutting mat (for cutting cardstock) is in metric too. But you’re right that most quilting patterns are in imperial measurements and so are most tools I’ve seen in shops. The seam allowance guide on my machine is in cm as well so a 1/4 inch foot is on my shopping list too.

2 Likes