2 Dog Quilts - my first project for 2021🐶🐶

I’m having a big tidy up and assessing all of the WIPs and projects planned I currently have in my studio, and I have to say…there are a lot!

I came across a bag of my old (oversized :ok_hand:t2:) flannel pyjamas that I have been saving for something. And yesterday (Jan 1) was the day!

While watching (and singing and dancing) to Sister Act I cut the pants into 10 inch squares, which was the width of the smallest part of the leg measurement. It took 3 pairs of pants to get 18 sets of 10inch squares.

It was actually super simple to make as you just cut them wrong sides together as that’s how you join them together. Going against all of my quilting instincts you actually sew the rag quilt with the wrong sides together. I had to unpick a couple of seams along the way because of this :stuck_out_tongue:

Once it’s all pieced together using 1/2 inch seams, you stitch all the way around the outside with a 1/2 inch seam. Next you snip every seam at about 1/2 inch intervals.

Last you run it through the washing machine and dryer with a bunch of tennis balls to help rough it up - apparently you can also use a pair of runners but since my partner is a tennis coach, there are pleeeenty of balls rolling around my house.

This was a super chilled out project which I was so glad to knock out. Because of the raggy-ness there’s lots of forgiveness and it was very easy to make. The most time consuming part was the snipping. The rest of the pyjamas I cut up into large rags for cleaning the car, etc. I also snipped off the buttons and saved them - hardly any waste!

They each measure 27 inches square

Close up of the seams on top

Richie loving his new blanket :smiley:

And one for Hound Dog too

He already dirtied it from his paws :paw_prints:

And this is what the back of the quilt looks like

21 Likes

Nice presents for your dogs!

I have been making a denim and fabric quilt that you sew “backwards” as well to let it fringe…I get so frustrated when I sew it the wrong way…I just make a few squares now and then…someday, I will finish it…

2 Likes

I thought about making a larger one for me (there was more flannel I could have used), but I couldn’t go past making something for them :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

To a dog’s clever nose, they probably still smell like you. What a lovely gift!

2 Likes

I hope so :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

They look great, what a brilliant reuse.

1 Like

Awwww, so cute and cozy! It was very thoughtful of you to make the pups these sweet blankies! I have been setting aside all my flannel remnants for a few years with this kind of quilt in mind… maybe this year.

2 Likes

This is so great! I love that you repurposed your pajamas into something soft, comfy, and cozy for your pups! It looks loved already! Way to go!

1 Like

It was seriously the easiest quilt I’ve ever made. No perfect accuracy needed, although you can see on the back that my seams were still on point :yum:

3 Likes

Such a good puppy mom!

I love this, I want to make a smaller blanket for my dog too. I gave him my living room one, but it’s really too large for him.

I think the pjs probably do still smell like you. I put Pilot in my bedroom if I need to leave for an appt that he can’t come to and a few times he has opened the sliding closet door and pulled out a dirty pair of pjs from the hamper. He didn’t chew on them or anything so I think he was just laying with them. How ****ing sad is that?!

I haven’t worn these PJs for a couple of years, but there’s a good chance they do still smell like me.

Richie is a shocker for reaching up on his tippy toes and stealing my pyjamas from the bed and taking them to his bed :yum: both mine love the dirty washing pile too :sweat_smile:

1 Like

CONGRATULATIONS! This has been chosen as one of this week’s Featured Projects.

2 Likes

I like your fabric choice in pj’s. The pooches look super happy and I bet they are extra snuggly!

1 Like