Quilt-along 2021

Oohh I love that tree block

I really love your mix of blues in this block! What are you going to use it for?

@MistressJennie, I like the idea of creating fun and festive placemats! I always want to make a seasonal table runner, but never seem to have enough time in the month of December, which is typically when I give it any thought.

2 Likes

@AudiobookLover, between the BOMs and at least one extra block per month, I hope to get two lap quilts for cool nights on the porch. After Dec.'s blocks, Iā€™ll lay them out and see what is missing and make a few more. Iā€™ve kept to blues, teals, aquas, soft greens, yellows, grays, and off white/tans for the most part. It will be fun to create two quilt tops.

But I need to finish my winter lap quiltā€¦itā€™s getting cold outside. And we keep the heat down to ā€œneed a blankie when sitting aroundā€ temperatures.

4 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Iā€™ve started cutting for my festive table runner today! Iā€™ve chosen a fabric line that will work all winter (Holiday Lane range by Henry Glass). Itā€™s a village scene in red, white and silver, old timey homes in the snow, some hints of Christmas, retro vibe but it doesnā€™t shout Christmas. I want to keep it on the table for January because thatā€™s my least favourite month. Iā€™ve calculated several times how much fabric of each I need to cut but Iā€™m always scared to start (designed my own, simple pattern, just borders around 10 x 10" panels ).

After Iā€™m finished I will set up my sewing machine and quilt and sew six stockings and hopefully work on a little babyquilt for a friendā€™s baby that I want to send along with their Christmas package. So I wonā€™t be bored this weekend!

6 Likes

I just looked up that fabric line. It does look very wintery as opposed to ā€˜Christmassy.ā€™ Are you using the panel squares for the table runner?

I hope you share your stockings too! Iā€™ve wanted to make family stockings for a long time, but Iā€™ve never gotten around to it. I canā€™t wait to see everything you come up with!

1 Like

@marionberries comment got me wondering. Everyone has a different idea on what is comfortable. What are everyoneā€™s comfortable winter temps - what do you guys set your thermostats at in winter?

Ours is typically at 69Ā° in the day and LittleBookLover and I wear long sleeves/sweaters (my husband wears shorts with no shirt and finds it quite comfortable). At night we set it between 64Ā°-65Ā°.

65 night and 68 day, but I work from home and have a radient panel under my desk and a lap robe. Flannel shirts, fleece vests, etc. abound.

But lately weā€™ve been bumping to 69. I ususlly get so hot when I visit others. New Englanders over heat.

2 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s the one!

The red fabric will be used for the borders and the silver for the binding.

We set our thermostat at 18C / 65F during the day and usually turn it off at night, unless itā€™s freezing. I grew up without central heating and weā€™re still in an old house. When we sit down on the sofa we have a quilt there but I just wear a sweater when Iā€™m working at my desk. We have a friend who turns up their heating to 22C / 72F and I always have to remind myself to wear a t-shirt when I visit them!

4 Likes

My dw just reminded me that we do 65 in the day too, 68 in the evenings. And night is 60, except when we foster mama cats or kittens, then nights are 65 with a heater on their room. We also use a heating mat behind their sleeping box. We treat them like royalty. Weā€™ve a mama cat thatā€™s about ready to pop. Anticipation is driving us crazy. Her name is Aurora and weā€™ve been dreaming up names. No winners yet.

3 Likes

Ooh, @Immaculata, I like your color choices for the table runner!

@marionberries, I vote for the name Borealis (though I donā€™t know what youā€™d shorten it to - Bory? Alice?).

We could probably turn our thermostat down at night and be just fine since itā€™s nice and toasty under the covers, but I get concerned about LittleBookLover who sometimes throws the covers off at night and will wake up chilled until I go pull them back up around him. I try to dress him in pajamas that will keep him warm enough if the covers come off, but wonā€™t cook him with the covers on. Nothing but the best for little boys and foster cats :wink:.

2 Likes

In Alberta we had a natural gas furnace and kept our house at 20C/68F during the day and 16C/61F at night, in winter.

There is no natural gas in PEI so we installed a wall mounted electric heat pump. So far weā€™ve kept it at 19C/66F all the time. We were turning it down at night but it takes so long in the morning to warm the floor, we decided not to adjust it.

I know heā€™ll be grabbing quilts and afghans when it gets colder here.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a really beautiful block!

Iā€™m so sad that Iā€™ve had to neglect my quilting for so long!

1 Like

I started my Sukieā€™s Choice blocks last night, to try to get them in on time. If I was just doing one, I would have finished yesterday, but I decided to make 4, to create a table runner for my aunt & uncle. I was chain piecing, so I have the first side of all my flying geese done, and the first set of all the 3-patch corners done. Going to do a few more morning chores, then dove back into sewing today.

I just couldnā€™t figure out which pile of quilt blocks I wanted to make it for, then bumped into a stack of fat quarters of bee fabric I bought with them in mind. My uncle started keeping bees, and now sells his honey at Farmers Markets. My aunt actually commissioned me to make her bee themed jewelry to wear while at the markets. Hopefully the table runner will be a nice addition to their market stall.

5 Likes

Today is the last day of November :astonished:, which means a new prompt for a new month!

Decemberā€™s prompt - Festive Decor - Quilt some festive decor - seasonal, or not, itā€™s up to you! You can finally use that fabric panel you bought months ago to create a wall hanging, or join @MistressJennie in making placemats, or @Immaculata in making a table runner. For those short on time, how about a quilted ornament or two? There are so many options available and what better way to decorate your space than with something you made yourself?

Also, donā€™t forget about our quarterly challenge that runs until the end of December - Create something ā€˜seasonal.ā€™ Which season? Any season! It can be a Halloween project, something Christmassy, or something bright and springy, whatever your heart desires.

4 Likes

And I enter this as my Medium quarterly

I find that creating and producing your own paper piecing is quite a heavy lift for one with dyslexia. My mind felt like an Escher painting by the time I was done.

1 Like

And for my Nov random act of kindness I made more of these tiny biscornus, biscorni?from left over scraps. I only have one left, Iā€™ve gifted the rest away.

5 Likes

-I MistressJennie submit this as my November BOM entry. The FQ bundle had 5 fabrics, and I only ended up using 2 of them. Hoping to work in another as border & sashing between the blocks, and hopefully the last two as backing and binding. (I have 3 of each FQ.)

I ended up making 4 of them, that I will turn into a table runner. At some point. Iā€™m not in a huge rush to make the runner, but I did want to get the BOM turned in before December arrived.

12 Likes

Love the colors and they look great together. It will be a beautiful runner.

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious to see your paper piecing, but thereā€™s no picture attached.

2 Likes