Quilt-along 2021

That’s a lovely choice of colour for those blocks.

I’m blocked with piecing at the moment. I’ve three blocks to make (mariners compass) to make into cushion covers as Christmas gifts. But for some reason I can’t seem to settle to quilting. I even stripped wallpaper and painted today instead of quilting. :confused:

2 Likes

You had to follow this thread a ways back…it was thithis one

8 Likes

So, I was writing up a post, asking for your opinions on sashing, binding & backing. But in the process of taking pictures of both options, uploading the pictures here, and staring at them on the screen, I totally made up my mind. LOL So instead of asking for thoughts, here’s what I’m going to do…

Re-use the green bee print as the sashing and borders. Use the gold honeycomb as the binding.

I’m going to use this busy floral as the backing. I think it will look nice with the gold binding, and repeat the light red seen on the front. It will also give them a fun option as a flip side of the runner.

These are the other two prints in the bundle, that I didn’t wind up using at all. The blue doesn’t seem to go well with the other 4 prints, even though the two white fabrics both have hints of them in their designs. I like the white with the beehives, but it wouldn’t work well as a piece of the blocks, because it is one directional, and if cut for patchwork or sashing, you’d end up with halves of the beehives, which would just become tan blobs.

So I think I’m going to ignore these prints, and just send them along with the runner to my aunt. She used to quilt a lot, even though she doesn’t much anymore, but hopefully she can find ways to use them for their honey business.

11 Likes

@MistressJennie think you’ve made the right decision on the sashing, binding and backing. Fun prints. This will look lovely.

3 Likes

I really like the decisions you’ve made with the quilt. Those other pieces would make great mug rugs

2 Likes

Progress on my Christmas blocks…

I put these on hold to make the November BOM, but now I’m back on them. I have to say the picture makes them look better that I feel they are. The block overall is finicky. Not so much difficult, as just ever-so-slightly-off in terms of sizes. Many of you have commented how precise my seams are, and quite honestly, they generally are very precise. But even using a perfect 1/4" seam, and doing all the right steps when pressing and such, I still found the center bands of the block to be off from the top and bottom bands of the blocks, and had to kind of stretch/fudge/shimmy them together to get the ribbon lines to match, and not end up with the center red diamonds a full 1/4" outside the length of the ribbon segments.

I’m about to put the red-ribbon/green-diamond version together now, and will turn them into placemats, but overall, I’d never bother to do this block again, even though it looks pretty cool when finished. (Also, it makes a 10" block, and the strips it has you cut are 1 3/4" wide, which just feels like a weird size.)

8 Likes

Beautiful, very impressive!

1 Like

Looks like a successful stretch/fudge/shimmy to me. :wink: I agree - it’s an impressive looking block!

2 Likes

All those recent finishes look lovely!

I want to finish the Christmas stockings for this year (4 done and gifted, 2 for us that are still in progress) and make a few new Christmas themed masks and then I will hopefully finish a baby quilt that I’m sending off to friends who have recently had another baby. With Covid visiting will be difficult so I’m just going to send them a baby quilt, gift and Christmas card all in one parcel.

Then the next projects will be my table runner and catching up on a whole year of BOMs! I’ve already cut all the fabric for the table runner and the pattern is easy, so I think that will be a one-day project.

2 Likes

Red blocks are done!

I think the contrast between the two greens shows better than the contrast between the two reds, but oh well.

Now to figure out what to do on the sides to make these into placemats, and what to do for the backing…

9 Likes

And I like the reds better, but they all make me happy and makes want to decorate.

1 Like

I like them Jennie, and as ever remain in awe of your precision.

I piceced and quilted something! It’s a FPP block that will be a cushion cover. Dark here, so the light isn’t great.

13 Likes

I LOVE this!!

Beautiful!!!

That’s gorgeous!

I finished the cushion

And I pieced this top, it will be a Christmas gift for my sister. Made primarily from 6" charm squares given to me by @madebybeag is a decent size lap quilt, my sister’s colours are red and blue

15 Likes

Started the BOM this afternoon. Finished the paper pieced portions.

7 Likes

Pretty block colors!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m trying to decide if I should do the missing triangles in green, red, or cream.

1 Like

@MistressJennie It’s beautiful! I say cream to really set off those lovey Christmassy pieces.

And here are templates for 12" and 9" squares. I’m doing 9 inchers and so had to modify. If you want PDFs, PM me your email and I’ll send.

5 Likes