Quilt-along 2021

Today’s progress photos:
image image image image image
From the shelves in the store to halfway through the blocks.
I’m making two giant cushion covers for my niece and nephew for their birthdays, in effect they will each be a mini quilt with a backing to add a pillow 65cm square pillow inside.
I had to go out, but no doubt I’ll get back to it this evening. I’m enjoying these so much! I don’t often work with solids, but this is going to look mint :ok_hand:t2: I may be a convert.
Oh, and if you’re not familiar… Bluey is a hugely popular TV show in Australia, about two blue heeler sisters, Bluey and Bingo.
:blue_heart::brown_heart:

10 Likes

More progress pics! I think I’m ready for bed now :sleeping::yawning_face:
Ready to start piece my niece’s pillow top. I think I’ll have to sash a 2-inch strip around the outside because it’s just a smidge too small When that’s done, both pieces will be quilted and then turned into a pillow case. I haven’t decided what closure I’ll use yet.
image image image image

12 Likes

These are going to be so adorable when you are done. I bet the kids will be THRILLED!

1 Like

Bluey is a big fave in this house! Loving your quilt cushion covers so far. Really showcases the characters. :blue_heart:

3 Likes

This is excellent! I’m not usually a solids person either, but definitely on point with these. They will be cherished!

2 Likes

Beautiful colors. Your pattern choice and color combinations really elevates the youthful content.

2 Likes

I love the solids…they really do frame the centers nicely…and I do think we in the this group from the USA are being put to a challenge by our international quilting sisters! They are quilting machines…better step up our game! I am going to work on my BOM this weekend, lol!

5 Likes

I’ve just finished my giant mug of tea, and caught up on the internets. Now I’m going to try the BOM too! I’m thinking of doing all the BOM’s with a black background, and jewel tone colors, so they have a sense of harmony when I put them all together at the end of the year.

5 Likes

1/2 finished

8 Likes

See? You guys are killing us! lol…looking good…love the colors and what pretty fabrics!

3 Likes

I guess I shouldn’t have said 1/2 finished in my last post because the other part only had a few pieces. Two colourful borders yet to add and a lot of quilting on the plain side will make it look less bare.

8 Likes

I poetrylover828 offer Bee quilt for my medium challenge entry.

So this quilt I made the top last year in March and then got it quilted pretty quick after. But then it’s been sitting for like ten months waiting on binding (WIP with one step left are the most annoying ones).

But this morning I finally picked out a binding and got it finished. Binding took maybe 2 hours from making it to getting it stitched on. The quilt top was done in a day (it’s a GE designs pattern that they did a quilt along for in March). I’m not really including the longarming time because I don’t do that myself. I get dad to do it on the quilter for me.

13 Likes

I MistressJennie submit this as my January BOM entry:

I also pulled out some scraps in various jewel tones, and all the black scraps I have, for the next few blocks. Looking forward to doing this throughout the year!

10 Likes

So cute with your bee focus fabric! Nice colors…looks like your star points are going to be pointy! lol

2 Likes

I really like your color story! Esp with the tartan binding!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m normally more purples, blues, and greens. So this was a step away from my normal choices and I really like it.

3 Likes

Ooh, I’d love to see you complete a scrappy project, @Renstar! Do you have any pattern ideas in mind?

@PrincessP your economy block cushions are REALLY coming along! I’m super impressed by how quickly it went from purchase to cushion top! I love how the block colors work so well with the Bluey fabrics!

@Cindy, from half to full top in approximately half an hour! I’m looking forward to seeing how you fill in the negative space with quilting! That pattern looks like a great way to showcase done beautiful prints!

@poetrylover828, congrats on completing your quilt! I like your binding choice! Your dad did a lovely job quilting that pattern onto it!

@MistressJennie, I like your use of the bee fabric for the middle of your Star!

5 Likes

This is another scrappy quilt, all improv blocks with one orange accent in each.I made the top a couple of months ago, it was fairly small, so I added the orange and white stripe to make it a bit bigger. This is quilted a bit more than I usually do. I didn’t love it as a top, but I really like it as a finish.

Mollie photo bombing

awful lighting tonight

@PrincessP I really like your economy blocks. I’ve added them to my list to try.

@Cindy I’m loving how that quilt is coming along.

@poetrylover828 I really like the colour combos in that quilt.

@MistressJennie those bee fabrics are really cute.

10 Likes

Okay, everyone can claim only 1 small, 1 medium, and 1 large challenge project each quarter, plus 1 of each month’s prompt, and 1 of each month’s BOM. If you follow the format from the first post, that’ll help me not miss your offerings.

I have a Google Spreadsheet I do plan on sharing so people can check what they’ve made and shared vs what has been recorded.

@AudiobookLover, did you receive the link to edit it I sent you a few weeks ago? If not, can you pm me what email I need to send that to?

1 Like

Cool, I need to learn to read more carefully😁 I’ve gone back and edited the posts to make them easier to pick up.

How are you doing honey? Feeling better?

2 Likes