Quilt-along 2021

Beautiful! It looks so warm and cozy.

Cutting a fun project for myself

16 Likes

Ooh @marionberries that is awesome!

And @Cindy I can’t wait to see how that turns out!!

@JoyfulClover I saw this and thought of you, check out the quilts down a bit on the page, some lovely sashiko style quilting tokyo quilt festival 2020: details of quilts – Okan Arts

4 Likes

That Tokyo quilt festival link is amazing!!

2 Likes

I have taken classes at Okan Arts! Fascinating stuff and a huge room bursting with gorgeous Japanese fabrics. I spent like 4 hours once just looking! Covid & other life stuff means major changes there, i need to go catch up on her blog.

3 Likes

The hand stitching, the applique, the amazing variety. I love this, what a festival.

2 Likes

Today I’ve been making some more economy blocks, they take a bit longer than my usual speedy quilting, but I’m loving them, each one is like a mini painting. I dug out some of my other printed fabric for the centres

This is my current favourite. I love the 50s sewing pattern vibe.

15 Likes

What a great description! These are looking great, my favorite is the deer block on the bottom. I want to jump on the economy block train (if only I didn’t have so many other quilts in the works!)!

I was out of town this past week and haven’t gotten anything new done, but I’m thinking of working on the January prompt before the month ends. Now, if only our trip bags would just unpack themselves!

3 Likes

Awesome! These are next on my list of blocks to try. If I can git gud at them, I have some special Japanese fabric that I would LOVE to showcase in these lovely little frames for a quilt together!

4 Likes

I didn’t think I would love them as much as I do, they are not difficult, but they seem to be pushing themselves into spare corners of sewing time

4 Likes

I agree–those are a fabulous way to showcase favorite fabrics and be able to keep them…I used to cut a square out of every fabric I purchased so even if I gave the project away, I would have a piece to remember…I should take those out and make some of these blocks and put them together for me!

@edel…your prints are the showcase of those blocks! It brings back memories when you posted them as you were making them…

6 Likes

SOCK.MONKEY!!!

Dat guy’s mines :grin:

4 Likes

Yes he is :grin:

@AIMR that’s a wonderful idea to keep a square, the economy blocks would be a fabulous memoir.

2 Likes

Got me right in the memories, that’s for sure! Pretty fabulous quilt blocks. Love that flamingo too, wow!

I DO love this! I fell straight down the rabbit hole because it linked to the Quilts and Special Exhibits! Swoon! I do love the traditional stitching. Their quilting flavor is very different than those I have seen. Just wonderful!

1 Like

I cut out my fabric for February’s block. Can I just say that I hate cutting fabric? Ugh. I suppose it wouldn’t be as bad if I had fancy quilting tools, like those cutter blocks things. (Or some dies!!) I’m working with a rotary cutter, a ruler, and a cutting mat. It’s slow going over here.

12 Likes

It might be slow going, but you’ve got it all cut out and now you’re ready to go - that’s an accomplishment in itself!

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of cutting either, but hopefully the XXL cutting mat I’ve ordered will make it more fun.

I finally squared up the blocks I made for the denim quilt during a Skype craft meeting. Now I just need to cut the sashing, finish the top and quilt it. This will still be the fastest quilt I’ve ever completed but in the mean time @Edel has finished 10! When this is done I can finally start the BOM.

3 Likes

I actually like cutting fabric. I don’t have a lot of fancy tools like all those crazy different rulers, but I do have a good rotary cutter, a lipped ruler, and a larger cutting mat. When I was a kid and my mom first got into quilting in the mid 80’s, she bought a lipped ruler on the advice of her quilting teacher, and so I’ve always used that kind. But over the years I’ve noticed that they are far less common. It seems every ruler for sale now is flat, with no lip to steady it against the edge of the mat. I can only seem to find them from the O’lipfa brand.

2 Likes

I also enjoy cutting. I only have basics as well but to think when I first started quilting, all I used was my scissors!..Most of my earlier quilts were scrappy and random pieces sewn together, but I still have a few that seem a lot more accurate and precise…to this day, I can cut a piece of fabric pretty straight without a ruler, but I use them for quilts.

I do have to replace a few every few years because the edges get rough and catch…but, yeah, I remember the rulers with the lip for cutting…I didn’t even know they still existed!

1 Like