Quilt-along 2021

I’ve only lived in one house with a formal living or dining room and we hardly ever used them. Even when entertaining the kitchen and great room combo was the prefered place. The only time I used the living room was when I was hiding from the kids! It does seem so silly to have those places…it’s a holdover from last mid century. My aunt and uncle built a new home and then proceeded to pretty much live in the basement rec room to keep the upstairs pristine for company. So weird.

2 Likes

I started cutting the background for my flamingo yesterday but ran out of fabric and I don’t have any more or one that would work with it. Back up the ladder I went to find a different, larger piece to start again.

1 Like

A formal dining and living room sounds great in theory, if you also have a butler and housekeeping like they do in the period dramas! But when I have guests over to eat it’s usually not for a Downton Abbey-style formal dinner, but a pancake breakfast for my friends and all of their kids and the whole room is sticky afterwards. I’m pretty sure if we had a formal anything room Mr Imma would turn it into a music studio within days.

I wish my house was a tiny little bit bigger than it currently is, but not much. I do love those American porches. I’m pretty sure you’d never get planning permission for something like that in my country but one day when I’m rich I want to build a house like that on a few acres somewhere.

1 Like

Was practicing the BOM. Not sure what I did wrong but something is wrong. I triple checked the sizes of the blocks I cut. The flying geese ended up exactly the finished size… Before squaring up. Somehow I lost 1/2 inch somewhere. I’m going to make the center square a bit smaller and finish this block and then start over tomorrow. No idea where I went wrong.

2 Likes

I just checked the tracking on the fabric I ordered for the mountain blocks, and it appears that if the postal gods are with me, it should arrive in the next day or two. It is in the state! It somehow was speedy from across the country!

4 Likes

My suggestion for your error might have been missing the small print in the directions when you squared the flying geese. I almost missed it myself … make sure they are trimmed to 3.5” x 6.5”

2 Likes

I agree; this part in particular was very misleading to me. I thought the “unfinished = square up” at the top meant that 3.5x6.5 was still unfinished, and you needed to square it up to 3x6. Most of the directions were very clear but this part definitely lead me astray!

2 Likes

I thought it would be the spot that threw people off…just remember “finished” always means once they are sewn together with 1/4 inch seams all around (1/2 inch total)…squaring just means even things out a bit like unevenness, point parts, etc. before you cut it down to the UNFINISHED size…it is an easy thing to miss because people write patterns like you can read their minds…lol…

My first mistake on this one was that I got the geese and sky mixed up in my notes and made them opposite! So, see? Even experienced people goof…fix it, love it, do it again,or move on! lol

3 Likes

I figured it out. I made the 6" block and my flying geese were exactly 1,5" x 3 unfinished. I didn’t trim them, they were already that small. It turns out that despite @AIMR sending me a 1/4 inch foot I have managed to make the seams too wide.

Tomorrow morning I’m going to drink lots of coffee and then I’m going to figure out what I did wrong with the foot. I finished the block and it’s 4,5" instead of 6" now, so I did something really wrong!

10 Likes

It may be smaller than intended, but it’s darn cute!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can still use it…most quilt blocks will go together because of the math…so if you have a 12 inch block, you can line it up with two 6 inch blocks or three 4 inch blocks…

It is cute and if your aim is to do a scrappy quilt, all standard sizes will fit!

1 Like

I will keep it for a different project, it’s made from the same fabrics as my Farmer’s Wife quilt blocks. I have really nice Monika Forsberg fabrics for the BOM sampler. I’m glad I made a test block first, this was my first attempt at flying geese.

2 Likes

lol me, too…I would have hated making my backward geese on my intended fabric!

1 Like

My 1/4 inch foot is a scant too big so if I need exactness I adhust my needle over a bit. And then I’ll still sew a crooked line and mess it up. :blush:

Do some test seams and figure out what works. I also use tape to give myself a guideline.

2 Likes

I really like that block @Immaculata the colours are great.

1 Like

Omg. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Finished this cutie piece of fabric last night. It took me forever. My newbie skills were challenged. Seam ripping was done…but in the end…I’m pretty proud!

it’s going to be my outside cover for this:

13 Likes

OOO, I like the greens and grays and peach(?). This will make a wonderful cover and great practice at the same time. I find every quilt I make is really practice. You have to do it to get better.

2 Likes

That’s what I keep telling myself! I always dislike sewing because I run into so many problems but 99% of those problems are because I don’t sew enough. :joy: Thank you for your kind words!

1 Like

What an awesome project!

1 Like