Quilt-along 2021

So you have enough to make another quilt? WOW! I imagine they will both look so different…I love the one you completed…I should look through my swap blocks and see what I have left…

Yeah, I have 21 of these blocks to make into quilt #2. I’m going to intersperse them with some plain black blocks to make it big enough to be a whole quilt. Most are already sewn into 4x4, so I need to take them apart.

7 Likes

Oh, my! All of these blocks and quilts are fabulous.

I’m over here, jealous, because I have projects that have deadlines. I haven’t been able to start on my quilts yet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But, y’all have given me some great ideas. I’m planning on doing an I Spy economy quilt for one of my grand nephews - it’s such a cute, versatile block.

4 Likes

It was a great suggestion, and a color I probably wouldn’t have chosen otherwise. But, it works really well with many of the fabrics, so I’m glad I have it. I also have a bright blue and a bright green.

And, @Edel, it definitely is a cheery color. I think the whole quilt will be bright and cheery once it’s finished. I’m looking forward to making the next block, now!

2 Likes

I’m surprised the economy block hasn’t been nominated for our BOM. It seems like such a fun block to play around with!

1 Like

I, AIMR, nominate the Economy Block for a block of the month!

Let me go find the link…I plan on using quite a few to fill in for my planned “scrappy” quilt just for this craftalong

Economy Block with cheat sheet for different sizes

4 Likes

@AudiobookLover, the Economy Block has been nominated (thanks @aimr) and added!

1 Like

I saw this adorable economy quilt that used a center square plus three rounds of triangles. That extra round, if you alternate between two solid colors, added an extra dimension of visual interest to the quilt. Plus, it’ll allow me to stretch the prints I have just a bit further.

4 Likes

It doesn’t fit any prompts/challenges but I made a thing today!

The block in this pattern was so similar to this month’s. Just triangles though…no geese. The middle block was supposed to be different but I wanted the cross stitch in the middle.

But guess what! I now have a happy little bowl of leaders and Enders thanks to @edel! I’m in love with that whole process. Thank you so much for sharing!

14 Likes

Beautiful and really modern…I fell down a rabbit hole looking at all the different ways you can do that block as well as some of the other blocks we are doing…blocks are nearly infinite! I love the grey against those brights!

2 Likes

So…you’ve had that cross stitch in your stash for a while…and you made it into a thing! So, in my view, that fits the Challenge of “finish a WIP of any size.” You’ve used your medium challenge entry, but you can totally claim it as your small entry if you want! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s really nice. I love the yellow frame, it really makes the cross Stitch pop.

2 Likes

I love that alternating colour on the economy block, it really ties them all together

1 Like

Do any of you watch the videos from Jordan Fabrics on Youtube? The shop owner releases a video each week, making a new quilt pattern. Some are her own, and she gives away the exact pattern measurements, and sometimes she does patterns from other designers where she doesn’t share all the cutting sizes, but does show you all the steps to complete it. She does quilts using both precuts or yardage, and everything from large bed quilts, to small wall quilts or table runners. Her videos are very clear, and she has a friendly, easy going manner. She also gives away one of the finished quilts in nearly every video. It will usually be a quilt she made a few months before in a previous video, and she’s willing to ship to the winner worldwide for those of you outside the US. Yesterday’s video was of a seemingly complex quilt involving a center star, surrounded by interlacing frames, that was actually really easy and beginner friendly, using just squares, HSTs, and rectangles.

8 Likes

That is really pretty! I have a Labyrinth quilt (different pattern) on my 2021 quilting list!

Well, since my office in PA is shut down today due to snow, I have to work a bit today! I was up late last night (like 2 am!) and got up early this morning to do some sewing. I got my February BOM done! I worked very carefully not to cut off the point and ironed the pieces into submission!

I love it!

I, @AIMR, submit my February BOM!

15 Likes

Meanwhile, since we were on the topic of my stack of unmatched quilt blocks, here’s the wall quilt I made from the 3rd swappers blocks. I took apart some to mix up the circles, added vintage buttons from the costume shop I was working, quilted some spirals, and added some braided trim along a border. It hung in the room I had hoped to make a quilt for, until we moved out of Bowling Green. Now the poor thing is homeless, sitting in my linen cupboard.

10 Likes

Beautiful job!

I love how you broke away from the “traditional” way to put the four pieces together by turning them in a different direction! It gives the quilt movement and interest!

It took a bit to figure out where and how you did it…you have a great eye to pull all those different fabrics together to have made this composition!

The intersecting circles on the right hand side are wonderful…

3 Likes

Pretty, has a Chinese laquer cabinet feel to it with rich reds, golds and blacks. So pretty.

1 Like

What a fun block! I like how the grey fabric looks like a swirly rose!

@MistressJennie your quilt looks divinely regal! I really like the circular quilting and the buttons!

2 Likes

All cut and ready to sew.
But first, I have to take care of my other hobby, bird watching, and go for a drive as I heard there is a Peregrin Falcon close by and I’ve never seen one.

9 Likes