Quilt-along 2021

That is super exciting! Best wishes of you seeing that!

2 Likes

Oh, you must go! When I lived in PA, there were two that had built a nest in one of the sky scrapersā€¦they put up a web cam for us to watch them and you could see them flying over the riverā€¦magnificent birds!

2 Likes

I, Whistlefish, submit this for my February BOM.

Used some fabric I shopped from my momā€™s craft room. :slight_smile: first time doing a log cabin-y thing. Interesting! Mine didnā€™t reach the full size so I had added more ā€œlogsā€ than the original.

I was going to make her a mug rug out of it but it was bigger than expected. It got made into a tiny pillow instead which was promptly claimed by my three year old.

12 Likes

I love it!

1 Like

I love it, too!

Did you have any problems with the corner blocks? I want to do another one doing thoseā€¦I got a bit lost this morning since it was BC (before coffee)ā€¦

3 Likes

@Lynx @AIMR ā€¦ it was there but I missed it :confused: Stopped when I was returning home to look at a large flock of another kind of bird and chatted with a lady who said she had seen me parked down the road from her earlier and she had photos of the Falcon. Sheā€™d seen it on the other side of the trees I was looking at.

To keep this quilt related, Iā€™m going to start piecing my flamingo soon.

5 Likes

Do you have a pattern for it? I like doing single piecing projectsā€¦lolā€¦I have lots of orphan blocks that are paper pieced!

I MistressJennie submit this as my February BOM entry.

11 Likes

Goodness, that is really very prettyā€¦and the blues and blacks make it kinda outer spacy!

Iā€™m enjoying stash busting random bits and bobs with these blocks. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Itā€™s gorgeous! You definitely need to find a place to display it, now.

2 Likes

Love how you mixed up the heart with different fabrics! Very creative!

1 Like

I might plan a quick lesson for tomorrow- something fun for a snowy day that isnā€™t a ā€œsnow dayā€- and then I might pick out the fabric for the February block!

3 Likes

Iā€™m doing some digging on the Way Back Machine. It looks like the blocks I made into that lap quilt were made by SimplySandy on Craftster. And craft minded made the ones that I turned into the wall quilt. It looks like the batch I have next for lap quilt #2 were made by kwiltykate. Are any of them here on LC?

Looking through the gallery has me thinking we should do a quilt block swap in the next round of swaps.

4 Likes

@Edel, I saw this, and it seemed like it might make a nice leaders & enders project.

3 Likes

What a wonderful way to display your cross stitch! Iā€™ll have to remember that!! :slight_smile: Love how well you matched the colors of the fabric and the embroidery thread btw!

Ooooh, Iā€™d love to try this, but Iā€™m not sure I have enough fabric in the same colors; I mostly have pretty small pieces. But I can root around in the garage and look! Btw, whatā€™s an HST?

I LOVE the fabrics and colors you used for this! Not terribly surprising I guess, as salmon, teal, and cream are probably my favorite color combination!

Oh no! I hope you find a place for this soon, because itā€™s GORGEOUS!!! Seriously, I lovelovelove it!

Oh wow, you got the hard part out of the way all at once! Nice! Good luck spotting the falcon! :slight_smile: We get sooooo many beautiful birds here at my place; I wish I could share them with you! XD

Oooh, this sure looks striking with that bright blue on the black! It gives it a very different feel from the lighter ones. Cool! And the pillow is darling. I love that you used your block right away! Way to finish a project all in one go instead of leaving lots of WIPs (like me). XD

Oh hey, similar color palette to Whistlefish! I can see these two making a nice start to a quilt top together. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How did the quilt block swap work?

Ooh my goodness, such lovely stuff!

@MistressJennie thanks for that YouTube channel recommendation, and I really like that field of diamonds quilt you linked. and I love that wall hanging, the way youā€™ve located the blocks feels like a cubist painting.

@Whistlefish that block turned out great, I love it made into a pillow

The quilt pattern she was using comes with directions for several sizes, including a small wall hanging all the way up to a bed quilt, so you might be able to do a smaller wall hanging version. And HST stands for Half Square Triangle. Itā€™s a thing youā€™ll see come up in lots of blocks. For example, Edelā€™s heart block creates 2 HSTs, which become the bottom point of the heart.

You can view the original swap thread on the Wayback Machine here:

Basically, MareMare divided us into groups of 5, so we crafted blocks for the other 4 people in our groups. (I think a few people were in more than 1 group.) Everyone picked out a various quilt block they wanted made, and if it was a difficult block, they also offered a simpler block that they liked too, for less experienced partners to pick from. During the planning and signup phase, people shared to various blocks theyā€™d seen online that they liked and thought others might enjoy too. Then when we got our partners, we all tried our best to craft their requested blocks in the colors they requested. Some people wanted very scrappy blocks, some wanted brights paired with a white background, etc.

Hereā€™s the gallery, also on the Wayback Machine:

I remember we all claimed a spot in the gallery, and posted all of the blocks we made for each person. Because there were just SO MANY blocks for so many people in the swap, it helped us all see what each individual crafter came up with.

4 Likes

lol I remember sloth had some of the most interesting requests for blocksā€¦I loved when she put them together because the quilt looked nothing like I imagined! She had one in particular that was like a wild stain glass looking blockā€¦I kept a printed copy of all the blocks I made for the swaps and should go revisit themā€¦as I said, I loved the circle blocks like you gotā€¦I did Christmas ones but would love to do one that looked Asian like yours!

2 Likes