Quilt-along 2021

You are going to have the cutest sampler quilt at the end of this year. Your color palette is go cool.

1 Like

Working on a Disappearing 9 Patch baby quilt for my cousinā€™s son. The fabric has adorable little Vikings!

10 Likes

I look forward to seeing how it looks once itā€™s cut and pieced!

I am currently finishing up a project that Iā€™m no longer interested in working on right now. I really want to work on my mystery quilt, but I started a project a few weeks ago and I donā€™t want to just add it to the unfinished pile, so Iā€™ll finish it up, then be free to work on my mystery quilt!

In February the mystery quilt pattern was revealed! I canā€™t wait to piece the last blocks and start putting it together (well, actually I suppose I can wait, since thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m doing, lol).

1 Like

Thanks for the visuals. I might be able to do this!

Parent blocks were pieced, then sliced and diced into the daughter blocks. Currently planning on this as the layout, with a narrow inner border of gold, and a wider outer border of the medium blue. Probably going to use the gold as the binding too.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve always thought disappearing nine patches were neat. This is working up so quick!

1 Like

I like the idea of the gold binding, it contrasts so well with the blue!

1 Like

This is fun! I love the disappearing 9 for quick fun quilts. It looks like you spent lots of time piecing little bits, but it really speeds up the piecing. The colors are perfect

1 Like

I also only iron when I sew!

@marionberries I love the colors you chose for your BOM. Having different designs sure is pleasing to the eye! All your blocks look so attractive hung up together like that!

Iā€™m having fun watching you work on your house block! Am I spying embroidery? And tumbling cats in the window fabric! I think itā€™s really cool that your house is getting a solar panel. Nice!

@mistressjennie I actually had to look up what a Disappearing 9 Patch quilt was and now I know! What fun fabrics you chose! Can you explain to me what a parent and daughter block is?

@AudiobookLover You can do it so you can work on all the more fun things! I know what you mean about forcing yourself to do what you donā€™t to (Operation Use Up Yarn anyone?) but my back/shoulder still is bothering me (although possibly trying to be better?) so I am continuing to rest it.

I want to see some more updates on your Mystery Quilt!

I agree that a gold binding on the Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt would look amazing!

1 Like

I WANT/NEED THAT FABRIC!!!

source? :wink:

Sure! You make a traditional 9 patch block, which is the ā€˜parentā€™. Then you slice it into quarters, which is the ā€˜daughterā€™. Hereā€™s a good post on the pattern from The Spruce Crafts:

3 Likes

Such a versatile patternā€¦I have a little cheat sheet on all the ways you can cut them to make different patternsā€¦

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my use of the disappearing nine patch!

I have another quilt top in progress using this same version of the 9 patch, but with Christmas fabrics rather than I-spy.

Somebody give me a kick in the butt, I need to get to work so that I can have completed quilts instead of WIPs! Actually, I have the push, I just need the speed (and for the housework to pause when Iā€™m quilting instead of expanding exponentially!).

5 Likes

This one, it is a disappearing 9 patch? Gosh, I love the colours!

That is really cute!

And hereā€™s mine, @AudiobookLover I had to zoom in to see that it wasnā€™t mine.

6 Likes

I love the red squares in both!

1 Like

I love this one! I was having a hard time finding the right fabric for my border, but this quilt inspired me to go with a double border, which solved my problem!

That is beautiful! But no, that one isnā€™t a Disappearing 9 Patch. Itā€™s a regular 9 Patch with pieced corner units. (The block seems to be called Homeward Bound.) The defining characteristic of a Disappearing 9 Patch is that you slice up the 9 patch blocks, and rearrange them. In hers, she doesnā€™t slice them up.

Meanwhile, hereā€™s a D9P that I made for @Edel early in the pandemic, when we decided to swap quilt tops made from what we had on hand. I had a charm pack of reds and creams that came as a free gift with a quilt kit I ordered from Craftsy, and I filled it out a bit more with some extra red and cream scraps. I even had enough solid red to send her as binding.

7 Likes

Hereā€™s an interesting alternative D9P, where you cut off the outside edge of the 9 Patch blocks, but leave the center whole.

6 Likes