Quilt-along 2021

I really love that pattern!! I’m mentally adding it to my list of things to try.

1 Like

It is the cutting up of those blocks that mystifies my husband…but that is where the magic happens!

2 Likes

Love that red and cream.

And @AIMR, keep the mystery.

1 Like

Yes! The original 9 Patch block literally disappears into a new design!

1 Like

I am making a bunch of flying geese for a project right now. I hope to be able to make March’s BOM soon!

2 Likes

Here’s the pattern for that Homeward Bound block!

3 Likes

My original plan when I made my blocks yesterday was to do a layout of 5 x 8 blocks. But I just laid it out on the guest bed, and I don’t like it. It looks too long and narrow. I tried 5 x 7 blocks, with the idea of using the other 4 on the backing, but also wasn’t thrilled. So I tried laying it out 6 x 7, and liked it a lot more. But I’m 2 daughter blocks short for that. So I’m fudging 2 extra daughters out of scraps that were already cut for the previous parent blocks.

1 Like

I, Whistlefish, submit this for my March Prompt project.

With a wee bit of green I made the first block in the American Quilting Magazine BOM for 2021. They come out with a new block each month and in the end it’s a whole quilt. This is technically February’s block and March’s comes out next week!

I tried my very hardest, used some of the quilting/squaring techniques @MistressJennie talked about and I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out!

9 Likes

Got the quilt top pieced yesterday, and the borders on today. I ended up making it bigger than planned, so I don’t have enough fabric for backing, but I need batting anyway, so I just ordered both for curbside pickup tomorrow.

8 Likes

@Whistlefish That is a really lovely block and look at all those pretty perfect corners! It’s absolutely beautiful! I used some of @mistressjennie’s techniques yesterday when I was making flying geese and it was really helpful! I love this group!

@mistressjennie your quilt top is really really gorgeous! I’m going to have to add the disappearing 9 patch to my list of quilt tops to do! The colors all go together so well!

2 Likes

Look at all those perfect HSTs! :star_struck:

1 Like

Yes, framing it really made it pop.love it.

1 Like

I love those tiny vikings. Do you happen to know the desginer/printer / fabric line?

Lewis & Irene, Viking Adventure

1 Like

Thank you!

It seems to have been released in 2019, and is from a company in the UK. So most quilt shops in the US are now sold out of it. I was looking for the matching ochre runes print, but NO ONE in the entire US had it. Just one Etsy shop had 1 fat quarter, but the shop was on break as the owner had surgery and wasn’t coming back till late April or early May. No one else on Etsy or Ebay had any. The only sellers I could find who had any, were all in England.

Picked up the batting and quilt backing for the baby quilt on my errands today. Hopefully tomorrow I can lay out the quilt sandwich and pin it for quilting. I’m not looking forward to kneeling on the floor and leaning over the quilt. But I am looking forward to testing out my new walking foot!

I found some of the tiny guy print, blue or
grey background. :wink: Go Canada!! :canada:

1 Like

http://www.right-sides-together.com/rst-guide-board-basting/

Board basting has been a game CHANGER for me. I’m actually making my way thru the excess amount of flimsies. When the “finished top” shelf actually ripped itself out of the wall I realised I had a problem. And I can sit at the table and not plank for 2 hours.

2 Likes

I use pool noodles to help me and they are pretty light as well…I will have to check this out…quilting is my least favorite part of making a quilt…I like the piecing…

1 Like