Quilt-along 2021

I hate basting. But not so much since now I’m not crawling around in the floor.
I used to not like quilting. But since I came to terms that I actually like simply quilted patterns I enjoy what I do. I’ll leave the super dense feathers and patterns to those with the desire for it.Or the computerised machines to do it.
I used to hate binding. And again Once I set my own standards. I don’t mind so much.And I machine sew both sides so I don’t have hours of handsewing starting me down.

1 Like

I like the piecing & binding, especially the hand stitching part. I find it so satisfying!
The quilting, no matter how simple, can bite me. I hates it. I’m halfway through a baby quilt so i gotta finish but Imma send the next one out.

3 Likes

Interesting!

At the end she mentions basting spray. Anyone tried?

LOL!!

Yes I have & it is awful. I’m sure some tidy people can make that goop work but it is Not for the messy crafter, like me. Any overspray is there for ever. I have a can of it, it’s probably long expired, lol.

I have to use it on machine embroidery projects, to temporarily hold things in place on the embroidery hoop until the machine stitches a tack down layer. I kinda hate it too. I’m super careful, and I spray over a cardboard box, and use as little as possible, etc. etc. But it gums up the needle of your machine, and sometimes just gets places you weren’t even spraying near. The embroidery machine itself that I bought from my neighbor has a layer of dried on spray adhesive and fabric dust on it, that just doesn’t want to come off. (I’m guessing she wasn’t as careful as me when spraying.) Also between uses the liquid spray dries onto the top of the spray can, and gums that up too, so I always spend like 5 minutes with a damp Q-tip carefully trying to get that crap off before using it again, because if you don’t, and the top is clogged even a little, it can drastically change the direction the spray will go in, meaning it’s more likely to get on things you don’t want it to.

I actually love it. I have dried different brands but I like the one my quilting shop sells. It is lightweight, temporary, easily washes off. I hate pinning. I still have to do a bit but not as much. Since I haven’t really quilted that much in the last year, just made the tops, it is still packed in a box. Or maybe, since it was an aerosal, the packers decided to leave it…hmmm…I think I remember the name so I will google it if I can’t find it on my site.

I change needles after every large project anyway, so the needle doesn’t get a chance to gum. I have an old queen size bed that I use in the garage or outside…or even my bedroom floor…

You have to quilt within a week or else the two parts will start to come apart…it loses tackiness over time.

The biggest invention for me were those clips. I love them.

I agree, the overspray from the basting spray was a mess on my hardwood floors. I’ve never used it again as the nozzle gooped up and clogged for good.

@sloth003 That board basting looks interesting…I may just have to unbury my dining room table. It it an old gateleg table and currently is pushed into a corner with stuff on top because the dining room has my office in another corner. I like my small house, but sometimes…

I took the numbers and lines right off half of a new quilting ruler a few years ago (and those things ain’t cheap so guess what I’m still using? sigh) so be careful applying solvent or even alcohol to clean stuff off plastic. One trick that works pretty well is rubbing a bit of oil over anything sticky, let it sit, gently wipe away and clear off any left over residue with dilution of dish soap on a cloth. Oil dissolves even dust encrusted oily sticky gunk and dish soap is the best for getting oil off. I have a 2nd hand lacquered wood box sitting with a 3rd application of coconut oil to remove the packing tape some genius thought was needed to keep the drawers from opening. It is the WORST but it’s slowly coming off.

Have you ever noticed that one person’s “greatest ever, always works for me, the best way to do anything” just doesn’t work for you? I’ve learned to take what works from how-to videos and tips and adapt to ME. And some of my tricks just don’t work for others. Life goes on.

4 Likes

I have…I recognize that people do things differently and not every variable is exactly the same…just as in all parts of our lives…you have to do what works for you and as long as it is not hurting others, that is all that counts!

Like I cannot do the tiny fiddly things with my stubby fingers that others seem to do effortlessly. But then things that I think are easy, confound others. That’s why “experts” that insist their way is the only way really annoy me! :angry:

1 Like

Just in this group, look how many ways you can do a D9P! lol

And, I seem to be the only person in the world who hates peanut butter…lol

1 Like

That’s okay. I’m the only person in the world who hates the smell of freshly cut grass.

1 Like

Testing out my new walking foot with a couple of scrap mug rugs. Once I’m comfortable, I’ll switch over to quilting the baby quilt, which I pin basted this morning.

3 Likes

Geekybookworm hates pb too.

1 Like

Join my dad. he didn’t even want hugs from us if we had been eating PB ort allowed in the car!

Partway through quilting the baby blanket, with diagonal lines. Enjoying my walking foot. Yay!

So of course I just ran out of navy thread. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

I just took the dog for a walk and listened to the latest episode of the Podcast “Love to Sew” and it’s all about…pressing! The hosts are more garment sewers but ever since @MistressJennie gave us a lesson I’ve been trying to be more mindful about it and then the universe must’ve thought I needed to hear more about it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The call I have been waiting for since mid-November came today! The Jazz 2 sewing machine that I ordered on back order for my Christmas present has finally came into the store. I am going to try to pick it up tomorrow!

7 Likes

Yay!! I’m looking forward to hearing how you like it!

1 Like